Terrible SD Picture Quality -- new subscriber question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kentuck1163

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
I've only been a subscriber for a week now and I'm VERY concerned about the poor SD image quality.

It appears to me to be a function of over compression. I was watching Battlestar Galactica last night and was appalled! I'm paying for this?? (and a two-year committment !!!!)

Its not so bad watching SD on my 18 year old 20-inch television - but on my new Toshiba 37" LCD HDTV its horrible. Watching Galactica, the space scenes were full of blocks of gray. Also, I've noticed on scenes where this is something with a slowly changing color across the screen (like a blue sky) banding of the colors is very evident.

I can't believe more Directv customers aren't complaining. I know its not my TV, because DVDs look great, and the analog cable signals I traded for this Directv trash were tons better. The HD channels look very good on my TV and I know SD will never approach them, but I wanted them to look AT LEAST as good as my analog cable did.

Am I the only one noticing this????

How is the system hooked up to the TV?? Are you running S-video and what type of receiver???

wobbie said:
How is the system hooked up to the TV?? Are you running S-video and what type of receiver???

I'm using Monster Cable (4') HDMI from the Directv H20 receiver to the TV.

Monster cable is a total waste of money, I am using a cheap HDMI cable i got from ebay for less the 10 bones and picture quality is as beautiful as I wanted it to be.

I agree with you on the cable. Was a stupid purchase. I've since found Monoprice. But, I have it.

I guess I can try component connection, but the artifacts I'm seeing in the picture appear to be compression-related.

By the way, my satellite signals are in the mid-70's (as reported on the H20). My D11's report them in the mid-90s.

Last edited:
kentuck1163 said:
By the way, my satellite signals are in the mid-70's (as reported on the H20). My D11's report them in the mid-90s.

Same reading with my H20, in the upper 70's. But with my Zenith 520 I get 90's.
Low signal reading is common for the H20.

pro96 said:
Same reading with my H20, in the upper 70's. But with my Zenith 520 I get 90's.
Low signal reading is common for the H20.

But have you noticed bad imagery quality on SD channels???

kentuck1163 said:
But have you noticed bad imagery quality on SD channels???

Actually non at all. I record alot of primetime programming into my DVD recorder for later viewing via SD and the playback looks fantastic.

I use regular Composite cables that I paid like $8.00 at Frys Electronics and they seem to work just fine.

Dude, it is not...I repeat nt your TV or the signal. It is the combo. YOur TV is made for a high def pic. SD from any source looks like crap on any HD TV period.

FlyingJ said:
Dude, it is not...I repeat nt your TV or the signal. It is the combo. YOur TV is made for a high def pic. SD from any source looks like crap on any HD TV period.

I had analog cable for a couple months before I got the Directv hooked up, and the SD quality was super. Among the best I have seen on an HDTV (although, you are correct, not as good as a CRT standard TV). Maybe I got spoiled.

kentuck1163 said:
I had analog cable for a couple months before I got the Directv hooked up, and the SD quality was super. Among the best I have seen on an HDTV (although, you are correct, not as good as a CRT standard TV). Maybe I got spoiled.

Why in the world would you buy a HD TV and than watch SD?

FlyingJ said:
SD from any source looks like crap on any HD TV period.

We are all stupider from reading this comment. SD given the proper bandwidth OTA and FIOS looks great. http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=59212

kentuck1163 said:
I've only been a subscriber for a week now and I'm VERY concerned about the poor SD image quality.

It appears to me to be a function of over compression. I was watching Battlestar Galactica last night and was appalled! I'm paying for this?? (and a two-year committment !!!!)

Its not so bad watching SD on my 18 year old 20-inch television - but on my new Toshiba 37" LCD HDTV its horrible. Watching Galactica, the space scenes were full of blocks of gray. Also, I've noticed on scenes where this is something with a slowly changing color across the screen (like a blue sky) banding of the colors is very evident.

I can't believe more Directv customers aren't complaining. I know its not my TV, because DVDs look great, and the analog cable signals I traded for this Directv trash were tons better. The HD channels look very good on my TV and I know SD will never approach them, but I wanted them to look AT LEAST as good as my analog cable did.

Am I the only one noticing this????
Welcome to Directv, home of the worst Picture Quality of just about any service provider.

Last edited:
There goes vurbano again! Hey stay off the D* we all know your opion which most of us don't agree with. Oh FlyingJ comment is correct!

robbiee19 said:
There goes vurbano again! Hey stay off the D* we all know your opion which most of us don't agree with. Oh FlyingJ comment is correct!

You have no idea what you are talking about and you apparently have some trouble reading. Spelling and sentence structure is a problem for you as well.

From korsjs's review of Verizon FIOS:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=59212
korsjs said:
I would have to say that the SD channels are the biggest WOW factor to me. It is amazing how good they look. All of the remind me of the PPV event channels on Dish Network. Have not had Dish in over a year, but they always up the bandwidth for the PPV events and the channels looked great. All of Verizon’s SD channels look like that. The picture quality is truly amazing.

Get your facts straight before you shoot your mouth off again. When you do not, you end up looking like an idiot :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The SD channels would not look so bad if not for the compression. Even on a 17 inch widescreen HD flat panel in teh kitchen, SD compression artifacts are most noticeable.

Watching SD from a digital channel on my 50" 1080p set is really not so bad. Watching a compressed cartoon channel with my son shows how ugly it can be.

We have all heard that these new Directv satellites are supposed to free up bandwidth and hopefully, They will use this to ease up on the compression. If not, then it will be time to look for a new provider.

javahh said:
Why in the world would you buy a HD TV and than watch SD?

javahh,

every thing that is broadcast isnt all in HD, so you are saying dont watch 90% of the programming that is shown?? just because the tv says HDTV.

dragon002 said:
javahh,

every thing that is broadcast isnt all in HD, so you are saying dont watch 90% of the programming that is shown?? just because the tv says HDTV.

For once I agree, maybe 50% with Dragon. I still watch SD but generally only OTA. Dish and Directv are destroying SD along with some cable systems. The only great SD left is OTA or Verizon FIOS, IMO. When I first got my HD set I thought ALL SD sucked, but as some of my stations upgraded their equipment I realized that the OTA station can put out a GREAT SD picture. If your SD sucks its generally your providers fault.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts