Terrible SD Picture Quality -- new subscriber question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Slump Buster

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 14, 2005
Back to the original topic....

There are other factors that go into determining video and audio quality. I recently bought a monster power conditioner and the difference in my SD picture and audio were noticeabe. Even my girlfriend (who doesn't know or care about anything involving the home theater) noticed. I know, some people think they are a waste of money but that's an issue for another forum. Bottom line... I wasn't happy with SD either but this helped a lot.

http://www.buy.com/prod/Monster_Pow...r_w_Stage_3_Filtering/q/loc/111/90119434.html ($50 rebate just expired)

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
Slump Buster said:

There are other factors that go into determining video and audio quality. I recently bought a monster power conditioner and the difference in my SD picture and audio were noticeabe. Even my girlfriend (who doesn't know or care about anything involving the home theater) noticed. I know, some people think they are a waste of money but that's an issue for another forum. Bottom line... I wasn't happy with SD either but this helped a lot.

http://www.buy.com/prod/Monster_Power_HTS3500MKII_10_Outlet_PowerCenter_w_Stage_3_Filtering/q/loc/111/90119434.html ($50 rebate just expired)

LOL I have the same one.

javahh

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 9, 2005
dragon002 said:
javahh,

every thing that is broadcast isnt all in HD, so you are saying dont watch 90% of the programming that is shown?? just because the tv says HDTV.

SD on my HDTV is great, I just choose to watch 90% in HD, cause that's why I bought it. To me it would like buying a four-wheel drive and never taking it off-road.

oh by the way vurbano, dish wants you back on their forums. :D

scotsmanron

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 23, 2006
Florida
I was watching the Duke vs. Wake game on Saturday and I've NEVER seen such a godawful picture in my life. It was on my local CBS sd here, thus my ESPN feed was blocked. The picture just seems to getting worse. Even my girlfriend wanted to know what was wrong with the picture. D* is beginning to piss me off.

dragon002

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 7, 2005
DONORA PA
vurbano,

im so tired of hearing you talk about directv , im coming to steal them:devil:

i just wondered. if it that close to your paranoia, forget it!

superjack

Dec 14, 2005
Let's face it -- DirecTV is terribly overcompressing SD signals! This has been going on for a number of years and has been getting worse. Many D* subscribers have gotten used to it, but it really is bad. I was a D* subscriber for years (and would love to be again), but I refuse to get their service again until this is corrected. Currently I have Time Warner digital cable, and their SD is unquestionably superior to DirecTV's. And, all this bunk about SD can't look good on an HDTV, try playing a DVD (using progressive scan and component video). It looks great!!! That's how good D* could look if they didn't overcompress the crap out of it. It has almost come to the point of look very amateurish. By the way, no matter what cables you use or how high your signal meter is, if compression is the issue, these things have ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT!

vurbano

Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
dragon002 said:
im so tired of hearing you talk about directv

And you think Im not tired of hearing your "rah rah, go team, homer, it lines my pockets nonsense" How many times are you going to talk about the nonexistent foot on Ergen's throat? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

markd

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jun 4, 2004
Memphis area
superjack said:
Let's face it -- DirecTV is terribly overcompressing SD signals! This has been going on for a number of years and has been getting worse. ...........Currently I have Time Warner digital cable, and their SD is unquestionably superior to DirecTV's.

Unfortunately, superjack is right. At least in my area. I have D* and TWC Value Package. I hooked TWC up to my HDTV about a week ago to compare since TWC finally moved their analog channels to digital. I already knew the HD channels had far better PQ. But I was surprised how good the SD channels looked. It wasn't this way just last November when TWC still had analog channels. I could still see some compression artifacts in TWC's SD channels. But nowhere near as bad as D*.

Now before I get jumped on by the D* fanboys, there are few reasons I've not dropped D*. TWC's HD-DVR is very user unfriendly. They do not have UHD yet. It's suppose to be coming soon. And Comcast is suppose to be taking over TWC here very soon. So I was waiting to see what happens with that.

If TWC adds UHD I might have to give their HD-DVR a try again. And when the TIVO Series 3 comes out, I'll have no excuse to not swap unless we get some good news from D*. The news I want to hear is when the new sats go up they'll do away with HD-Lite and the over-compression on SD channels.

And for those wondering why I haven't tried E*. I do not want to get into another commitment now until I know what everyone is going to do.

scotsmanron

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 23, 2006
Florida
MarkD is right on. Having Comcast lifeline cable shows me that they CAN get it right. Here they are still more expensive than D*. I don't care that much about the DVR interface, I'll buy a TIVO if every thing else works (at least I'll own it).

I like D*, otherwise I wouldn't have stuck with them for 12 years, but I'm not going to be like FlyingJ and Dragon and act like nothing is wrong.

Maybe I should just turn the whole damn thing off and read.:rolleyes:

Buckett

Dec 13, 2005
Maybe I should just turn the whole damn thing off and read.

Man, I am right there with you.

I just recently switched back to D*, after trying E* for almost a year. I have just started a 2 year contract (effective 3/6). I purchased the HR10-250. I love the interface, but the HD PQ with D* is lacking in comparison with E*. I am somewhat regretting the switch. I will say, though, that after going through 3 942s (2 defective) in 10 mos, along with all of their bugs, quirks, and shortcomings, and then being asked to pay for the 622 upgrade, the HR10 has been a blessing, so far. I do dearly miss the better HD PQ though. ESPNHD through D* is just not the same, it lacks the brilliance and "WOW".

Sorry for the rant. Yes, I know, that is one serious run-on sentence in the middle.

FlyingJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 19, 2005
Bexley, Ohio
scotsmanron said:
MarkD is right on. Having Comcast lifeline cable shows me that they CAN get it right. Here they are still more expensive than D*. I don't care that much about the DVR interface, I'll buy a TIVO if every thing else works (at least I'll own it).

I like D*, otherwise I wouldn't have stuck with them for 12 years, but I'm not going to be like FlyingJ and Dragon and act like nothing is wrong.

Maybe I should just turn the whole damn thing off and read.:rolleyes:

I really am not one of the "there is nothing wrong" guys. I too want to see the PQ be all that it can be. But, I do like my Tivo (HR10-250) NFL ST,and I have compared my pic with the others available in my area. Time Warners HD pic stinks, Insight is worse and I could not tell the difference between D* and E*. I just checked out E* on ESPN last night and I just don't see any better pic than what I am getting. If the extra WOW was there I would have to consider it. But as I stated where I am I just don't see it. I will have faith that all of those SAT's are gonna somehow do what ever is needed to help the PQ on D* in the near future.

kentuck1163

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 8, 2006
Slump Buster said:

http://www.buy.com/prod/Monster_Pow...r_w_Stage_3_Filtering/q/loc/111/90119434.html ($50 rebate just expired)

I have the Monster Power conditioner - got it before I got the Directv service - and, like you, I DID notice an improvement in picture quality. However, the stuff I am noticing now is definitely caused by over compression of the SD channels. The picture quality would be super if not for those horrible artifacts. They are the worst I have seen.

The closest thing I can compare it to is when, years ago, I used some DVD copy software to make a copy of a movie (perfectly legal content of course!!). Anyway, I needed a backup of a DVD and used this software and compressed the movie to fit on a normal DVD-R. The compression created exactly the same types of artifacts and annoyances I am seeing now on Directv SD channels.

Ricknau

SatelliteGuys Guru
Aug 12, 2004
I hear ya Kentuck! And you basically just have to live with it. Or find a better provider.

Over compression... the "Digital Advantage"... for BW starved providers.

For me the only other option is Dish which I actually dropped a week after I bought my 50" HDTV for the exact same reason. I almost sh*t when I saw how bad the SD PQ was. Figured I try Directv and it was, I thought at the time, maybe 10% better (wishful thinking?). But I've stayed with it because I'm out of options.

I'd like to add that for all the irratation Vurbano brings to a lot of you guys, he usually speaks my sentiments and I'm sure the sentiments of many others. I just let him say it and take the heat. :devil: I guess I (we) should speak up more so he doesn't seem like such a renegade. But he does it so much better than I could. :rolleyes:

vurbano

Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
I watched Harvard man last night on SHOHD and just when I thought things couldnt get any worse on D*...well... Ill post some frames of the travesty later . I think it was about the worst PQ Ive seen on ShowtimeHD.

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
vurbano said:
I watched Harvard man last night on SHOHD and just when I thought things couldnt get any worse on D*...well... Ill post some frames of the travesty later . I think it was about the worst PQ Ive seen on ShowtimeHD.
Vurbano...it's obvious that you, tens of thousands of unhappy D* HD subscribers, and those dozens of little things known as substantiated facts are completely wrong since dragon (an individual who does not want, not need, nor does he subscriber to D* HD) says the PQ is just fine by his high standards. Yes, this coming from an individual who thinks Bud Light is the gold standard of beer.:haha

Vurbano...I hope you see how fruitless your arguments are against these people. Your facts and logic are useless when dealing with the factless, tactless, and illogical rantings of these D* minions.:tux:

I was going to pick up a few pints of Guinness at Costo while running errands later this morning (St. Patty's Day put me in the mood for this fine beverage), but perhaps I'll pick up a case of Bud Light since it will apparently make my VOOM-Lite channels look much better.:rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)