OTA Digital Channel Assignments

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Good information, even though I've seen it before. This should be stickied in the HD Over the Air forum.

Does anybody know what this will mean for some stations - for example in Los Angeles KCBS switches from Ch 2 to Ch 43, KNBC from 4 to 36. Does this mean that they will be known then by their new channel assignments - or will the TV tuner have a translation system that will enable you to punch in the old channel 2 and it automatically tunes to 43?

Does anybody know what this will mean for some stations - for example in Los Angeles KCBS switches from Ch 2 to Ch 43, KNBC from 4 to 36. Does this mean that they will be known then by their new channel assignments - or will the TV tuner have a translation system that will enable you to punch in the old channel 2 and it automatically tunes to 43?

Those channels will switching from VHF to UHF frequency, I don't think we have the technology that advanced for our TV that automatically tunes to new channel. But resetting the TV channels.

If your digital channel changes it's broadcast frequency, your receiver won't be able to find it. You'll have to scan again, or enter the new digital channel number manually.

Just want to be sure I'm reading this right. The column labled NTSC is the current analog channel and the next column is the new ATSC channel when analog goes dark...right?

If true, it will be very disappointing to see that our ABC station in Tucson has decided to move their digital station over to VHF while all other locals will keep their stations on UHF. Why don't they just shut down VHF all together? Would make for an easier time on antenna pointing.

Yes. ATSC digital television has something called PSIP which maps a virtual channel number to the actual broadcast frequency. As far as the viewer is concerned KCBS and KNBC will continue to be channel 2 and channel 4.

There is also something new with digital tv called subchannels. Because each frequency can now deliver more than one program, you may have the option to select between channels within a channel. For instance, this is what the digital channel for KNBC offers:

KNBC 4.1 is NBC HD
KNBC 4.2 is WeatherPlus
KNBC 4.4 is News Raw

Just want to be sure I'm reading this right. The column labled NTSC is the current analog channel and the next column is the new ATSC channel when analog goes dark...right?

If true, it will be very disappointing to see that our ABC station in Tucson has decided to move their digital station over to VHF while all other locals will keep their stations on UHF. Why don't they just shut down VHF all together? Would make for an easier time on antenna pointing.
Yep, that's how I read it.

There was an article a few months ago that hit on this subject. I think that the stations regard the VHF transmitters as a useful asset, and intend to convert them to digital transmitters.

... Jay Adrick, vice president of broadcast technology at Harris Corp., offered some figures and scenarios on the post-Feb. 17 transmitter situation.

"We have 306 television stations currently broadcasting in UHF that have elected, or have been designated, to move back to their [analog] VHF channel assignment," Adrick said. "These stations own both U and V transmitters and will need to come up with a digital VHF transmitter. It's Harris' understanding that 25 to 40 percent of these analog VHF transmitters could be repurposed for digital. Our newer Harris Platinum [analog] transmitters can be converted to digital, but this is not a simple overnight conversion." ...
A Plan for Orphaned Transmitters?, by James E. O'Neal

Yes. ATSC digital television has something called PSIP which maps a virtual channel number to the actual broadcast frequency. As far as the viewer is concerned KCBS and KNBC will continue to be channel 2 and channel 4.

Thanks for the info. Makes a lot of sense that the CBS and NBC LA and NY O&O stations would keep their low channel designations but use the VHF frequencies for other commercial purposes. :eureka

Here is a reference to PSIP which I found:

Program and System Information Protocol (PSIP)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)