OTA EPG Info Incorrect or Displaying 'Digital Service'

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
This thread is going to be monitored by people who can actually help with OTA EPG data. Please keep your posts limited to the channel number, call sign, and if it says "digital service" or in the case of LIN stations, it is providing dispute data or just incorrect information. Our hope here is to provide direct information for the engineers to get in and fix away. Thanks!

Last edited:
Awesome. I didn't see any other posts from the Dish folks in the original thread after my post, so I'll re-post my OTA EPG issue here:

JosephB said:
I started a thread in the main forum: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/244023-missing-ota-guide-data.html I'll provide some more details:

The Birmingham DMA is pretty large, geographically. We have several stations that are transmitted on two channels. The three examples are:
WTTO 21 (Main channel) and WDBB 17 (secondary) (CW Network)
WBIQ 10 (Main channel) and WCIQ 7 (secondary) (PBS/Alabama Public Television)
WBMA-LP 58 (Main channel) and WCFT 33 & WJSU 40 (secondary channels-Note that DISH uses WJSU 40 for LiL) (ABC)

In each case, the secondary stations carry *exactly* the same video feed as the main station. They are completely interchangeable, and in a lot of cases they are if you are a cable subscriber. Even on DBS, Dish uses 40 for ABC and DirecTV uses 33. And when I say one uses 40 and one uses 33, I would bet a paycheck that they use the same video feed and arbitrarily picked a channel number for the lineup.

The problem is with OTA data. Since Dish uses channel 10, 21, and 40, they only map those channels' guide data to their OTA counterparts. When I scan in channel 7 and 33, I get "Digital Service". I don't get a signal for 17, but I assume it's the same.

The issue with this setup is that since the DMA is so large, depending on where one lives, you might not be able to get the channel that has guide data. What Dish needs to do is add channels 7, 17, and 33 and simply link them to the exact same guide data for 10, 21, and 40 respectively. I don't know if mapdowns are possible with the OTA-only guide data, but that's all it should take. The guide data NEVER differs between the main stations and their secondary stations.

This is vitally important in the case of channels 10 and 7, because DISH does not carry Alabama Public TV in HD, and I (and a significant portion of the Birmingham DMA) get a better signal on 7 instead of 10, and as it stands I can't record any timers for programs on 7. 33/40 is similar, but less vital since it's carried in HD on satellite, but it would ease some tuner conflicts if I could set network recordings on my OTA tuner so I can watch live TV while they record.

This is awesome.

Since the digital transition, channel 66 WPXW (our local Ion affiliate in the Washington DC DMA) shows Digital Service for all subchannels, labeled Ion, qubo, and IONL. 66-0 (the satellite channel) shows correct guide info and is labeled WPXW.

Dayton OH market

WPTD, channel 16-2 = Digital Service >> should be "Again"
WKEF, channel 22-2 = Digital Service >> should be "Cool TV"

I’m in the Minot-Bismarck-Dickinson DMA and the OTAs here in Minot North Dakota show "Digital Service" for the following channels:

010-01 NBC KMOT Digital Service
014-01 ABC KMCY Digital Service
024-01 FOX KXND Digital Service

The guide info is correct for the following satellite channels out of Bismarck

005-00 NBC KFYR (Both channel 5 and 10 are owned by the same company, 10 is out of Minot and 5 is out of Bismarck)
017-00 ABC KBMY (Both channel 14 and 17 are owned by the same company, 14 is out of Minot and 17 is out of Bismarck)
026-00 FOX KNDX (Both channel 24 and 26 are owned by the same company, 24 is out of Minot and 26 is out of Bismarck)

Hope you can get this fixed.

Last edited:
LIN in Austin:
KXAN (036-01) (NBC)
KNVA (054-01) (CW)

Both are showing the message about the Take Down.

There are others that I will add when I'm in front of the tv.

Last edited:
In Dallas
13-2 Digital service on DISH on Directv programming listings
31-4 RTV digital service
33-2 Ante Digital service on DISH on Directv programming listings
33-3 This TV digital service
And many many more channels listed as digital service

Hall said:
Can you clarify what you mean by that ?

The OTA channels are showing the same message as the Satellite channels for lin. Tony is trying to get the correct epg information displayed for the OTA locals.

Lexington, KY DMA

18.2 Wazoo Sports
Seams to have a lot of issues, can never rely on what the guide data shows.

Indianapoliis,IN: WXIN's sub channel 59.2 shows digital service, should be Antenna TV. WIPB's sub channel 49.2 says digital service, should be Create. WNDY 23.1 shows Important news instead of proper EPG. WNDY's sub channel 23.2 shows digital service, should be COOL TV. WFYI's sub channel 20.2 shows same info as 20.1, should be V Me. WISH 8.1 shows Important News instead of proper EPG.

In addition to quoted post:

In Bismarck KXMB channel 12-1 show digital service, owned by same as KXMC 13-0 Minot

I’m in the Minot-Bismarck-Dickinson DMA and the OTAs here in Minot North Dakota show "Digital Service" for the following channels:

010-01 NBC KMOT Digital Service
014-01 ABC KMCY Digital Service
024-01 FOX KXND Digital Service

The guide info is correct for the following satellite channels out of Bismarck

005-00 NBC KFYR (Both channel 5 and 10 are owned by the same company, 10 is out of Minot and 5 is out of Bismarck)
017-00 ABC KBMY (Both channel 14 and 17 are owned by the same company, 14 is out of Minot and 17 is out of Bismarck)
026-00 FOX KNDX (Both channel 24 and 26 are owned by the same company, 24 is out of Minot and 26 is out of Bismarck)

Hope you can get this fixed.

Washington DC WDCW 50.3 THIS TV (although at times THIS TV listings are shown as 50.2 which is Antenna TV

Keep sending information but make sure it is not already posted. Also, I guess posting what city the station comes from would be beneficial, too, if you haven't already. Thanks a bunch, guys! I forwarded this link to engineering.

Please, no discussions in this thread -- information only!

Last edited:
Albuquerque, NM
KASA, 2-1 "Important info..."
KRQE, 13-1 "Important info..."

Thanks.

I receive the following on my OTA channels

11.1- shows Digital Service as data-- KGIN is CBS affiliate--town Lincoln/Grand Island
11.2--shows Digital Service as data-- KGIN sub channel is a MyTV station--same town as above

05.2--shows Digital Service on screen-- KHAS-SD-sub channel of 05.1-KHAS listed below--Thistv--town Hastings

03.1--NET (Nebraska Public TV--tranmitter from Lexington
03.2--sub channel of NET
03.3--sub channel of NET
029.1--NET (Nebraska Public TV--transmitter from Hastings
029.2--sub channel of NET
029.3--sub channel of NET--Create tv
KUON is the parent station from Lincoln of the 6 channel listed above. All 6 channels show Digital Service as the data, 3.1 and 29.1 are the HD channels, same programming as KUON. 3.2 and 29.2 carry same programs as do 3.3 and 29.3--Create TV

The following channels show the proper info
05.1--KHAS--DT-NBC--Hastings
13.1--KHGI--DT-ABC--Kearney
13.2--KFXL--DT-FOX--Kearney

FYI; I emailed the Dish Quality Dept at Echostar and I forwarded this to the op. managers at the TV stations.
Dish Quality Dept. said it is because of improper TSID's
Thanks!

Last edited:
WALA 10.1 Mobile AL OTA. LIN Media - Fox Affiliate. Showing the Call and complain screen

WFNA 55.1 Mobile AL OTA LIN Media - Independent Showing the Call and complain Screen

Austin, TX (other than LIN):

018-03 (KLRU, PBS) Digital Service
024-03 (KVUE, ABC) Digital Service
031-01 (KTFO) Digital Service
031-02 (KAKW) Digital Service
054-02 (COOL) Digital Service (LIN SubChannel)
068-02 (KTFO) Digital Service

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)