OTA Experience on 922

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
I am really very seriously considering to finally take the plunge on the 922 in March. However, I really need to know what the current 922 experience is using OTA channels. Older posts stated that one had to set OTA recordings via Dish/Sling website as one could not do so using the 922 directly. OTA is a very important part of our viewing as we have a lot of major network local stations timer conflicts with out OTA.

I would like to know the following:

1. Do OTA's display properly on the guide, including all mult-plexed channels jsut like on the 722/K?

2. Do OTA's display channel logos?

3. Can one set up a recording on an OTA using the remote and accessing the 922 directly, lie all the other HD DVR's, or is still only through Sling website.

I would appreciate any of the most recent experiences you've had regarding OTA on the 922. Thanks.

IMG_0758[1].JPG
You can see in the picture how some shows up but then channel 16 has no info or no local but its just a bunch of shopping channels.
1. Yes, if the info showed up on your 722 they will on the 922.
2. On my 922 the logos show up on every single channel except for one station and Its just a religious station.
3. Yes I do that all the time. That was just a problem when it first came around

I have had my 922 since June and i havent regretted spending money on it once. Watched an hour of basketball on my iphone from it yesterday with no problems.

Any of your local channels that Dish has as part of their local channels, will show up in your guide, just as any other channel does. If you have channels that are not in the dish local channel lineup for your area, you will still get them on the 922, but no guide data. One thing I have noticed, is the OTA tuner that was put in my 922 gets a lot better signal strength, that the 622 it replaced did, and the 211 OTA tuner I have on a bedroom TV.

Thank you all for the replies. One more question:

Can one change the label/call letters that display on the OTA's, like we can on the 722/K? I really do depend upon that for ID purposes because the stations don't all send out the ID's for the DVR to load, while some do.

Thanks again.

Yes. The MT2 (module for 222K, 722K, and 922) is a decent OTA tuner. It is a tad better than the one in my TiVo Series 3 tuner, which is also quite good. They both perform about the same. TiVo premier is reported to have an inferior OTA tuner. However, a top brand TV OTA tuner will usually outperform either Dish or TiVo. The 622 was the very first ViP and I do remember complaints about that model's OTA tuner and subsequent posts stating the 722's OTA tuner was performing better than the 622.

Last edited:
View attachment 61547
You can see in the picture how some shows up but then channel 16 has no info or no local but its just a bunch of shopping channels.
1. Yes, if the info showed up on your 722 they will on the 922.
2. On my 922 the logos show up on every single channel except for one station and Its just a religious station.
3. Yes I do that all the time. That was just a problem when it first came around

I have had my 922 since June and i havent regretted spending money on it once. Watched an hour of basketball on my iphone from it yesterday with no problems.

NICE!!! Thanks for the pic. It really does say a thousand words. I have one more question in a post above, but I wanted to say thanks. Now, I just have to make sure I have the $$ lined up for next month or later, depending on any surprise expenses (like fixing the car) coming to hit me.

The only problem with Dish and the 922 OTA tuner is that if there is any glitch in the signal, rather than just pixelating a bit and then going back to normal it will throw up a huge banner covering 80% of the screen to mention that the signal was lost for a moment. It is very annoying. I know the picture broke up a sec, I do not need a huge banner and wait for it to time out to go away!! This is with both live and recorded OTA content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)