OTA for rural area

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

meldar_b

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
Floyd Co. Kentucky
Greetings gang :hatsoff:

I will be moving to another town in a few weeks and I would like to run a OTA system with my D* service (have not started the D* yet). Yes I know that locals are available on D* my DMA is Huntington/Charleston WV I want my local CBS affiliate 57 WYMT (also in DTV) which is not available on any sat provider. I'm not worried about the HD yet I'm not set up for HD yet:eek: this was the closest forum I could find to ask about OTA in my area. The problem is I will be at 41649 (Martin, KY) a very hilly/mountainous area of KY. A normal rooftop OTA will not work. does anyone know what I need to install a OTA on top of the hilly/mountain that is behind me. years ago before cable and satellite we ran the TV antennas and ladder-line cables to the tops of these hills to get the area TV stations, some picked up great (other DMA's) while others just got static. I need to know the type of antenna, amp and cable to run. Any suggestions or other links will help :up

Thanks ;)

Darrell B
meldar_b@yahoo.com

Use www.antennaweb.org to research what you're likely to receive based on your location. (You can enter either your zip or refine it to an actual location - try both). You'll get the distance and bearing to each available channel and some indication of what type of antenna/preamp is needed based on location (does not factor terrain, elevation, obstructions, etc.) You'll likely need a fringe antenna, a good preamp (I'd choose low-noise vs. high-gain, YMMV) and a good coax to run to your internal equipment probably RG-6/U but RG-11/U is also a possibility. I believe the "ladder" lead you mentioned was for 300-ohm balanced systems but I think you'll find most amps/preamps require unbalanced 75-ohm interconnections. Coax also gives you the option for ground burial if that makes sense in your application. Keep checking this HD OTA forum for MANY related experiences, successes, suggestions/reports on manufacturers/models, what to avoid, etc.

Welcome, BTW - Good luck and make sure you report back with your results!

Last edited:
Antennaweb indicates YD. You're Doomed. One potential station, PBS.

Or, you could try a long strong cable, extremely large antenna, and huge blimp. Assemble as desired.

I fear you will have no choice but to pay for LiLs from your satco.

And you still won't get WYMT.

You might not be doomed.

According to 2150.com your town is only about 36 miles from Hazard KY, home of WYMT. They broadcast on both VHF 12 and UHF 57. If you can get an antenna, either UHF or VHF, to a clear spot high enough above the surrounding terrain, your in. Getting the signal back down to the house from a remote antenna location isn't as difficult as most people believe by using the proper amplifiers and cable. If fact you could likely get all the networks from Huntigton WV with a good enough setup.

You would need some type of support structure, like an antenna tower first. You can't use a tree. After you have that (and a chainsaw) the rest is easy. Is a tower what you had in mind? Exactly how far would the antenna be from the house?

Last edited:
thanks guys

yes :eek: its gonna be a tough task if I do try an OTA system (just from running the cable up the mountain). I just added up some quick numbers for cable/amps/antenna's and its better off for me to just subscribe to the local cable co. and get their basic tier for a few dollars. all this just to get one station... :what and maybe 1 or 2 out of my DMA...:cool: I think I will have to wait and see huh:shocked

Thanks guys

Darrell b
meldar_b

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts