OTA guide data (for searches returning Digital Service as program name)

voyagerbob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2003
In the past when I've searched for certain shows (Curious George, Nova, and other PBS shows) my OTA PBS channel would pop up in the search but the show title would have the dreaded "Digital Service" as the name. No info was there to explain how this happened but it was the correct time and subchannel for the OTA show. I've seen other posts with people having the same results (though I've searched about 20 times trying to find some of them).

Previously I tried renaming the subchannel to the call letters of the station without the "-S" at the end but with no luck. Well last night I was playing around and deleted the PBS channel and then added it back in and changed the call letters as you add the channel (which renames all the subchannels to that name) and when I exited the menu there was my guide data for PBS as subchannel 2 that had never been there before.

Just thought I'd mention it in case it works for someone else as well. This was a channel E* carries in the locals package and was on my 622.

Voyagerbob

These are the steps I used to make it work.

Menu
Setup
Local channels
add locals
Put in appropriate transmit number
edit name
placed only the four digit call sign (ex wkdf)
done

My local PBS has 5 or 6 sub-channels and most show different programming. Renaming mine wouldn't do much good as it would say the show is NOVA when in fact it's Arthur or something....

bgsmallwood said:
This doesn't seem to work on my 211. It just comes back as Digital Service.
Didn't work on my 942 either. WGCB shows Digital Service, even though the Dish provided feed has guide data.

Related Question

I have a related question. My 622 has always shown the program guide data for OTA with no problem.

Ever since L3.63, however, the OTA information has gone away. I am among those who have had problems; it froze once after hitting the recall button, and yesterday it just totally died while watching a DVR'd Narnia...

But the OTA data is really bugging me; I am wondering how on earth to get them back? Should I delete all of my OTA locals, rescan, and then add them again?

Or do I need to "clear the matrix" as I saw in one of the other threads on 3.63; power-off; remove the sat coax; do a check switch; wait 15 minutes; reconnect coax; do another check switch.

Any suggestions would be very welcome; I have posted about the OTA issue I am having twice, but no one has responded.

voyagerbob said:
What do you mean by that ??
edit name
I tried that part and renamed my local NBC sub-channel from WDTN-SD (or whatever it is) to just WDTN, "Done", and no change. I even did a check switch so that it would pull down an updated program guide and still no change.

hall said:
What do you mean by that ??
He means the actual channel that the station broadcasts it's digital signal on.
For example, for WBAL-11, you would put in "59", which is it's digital station.

voyagerbob said:
These are the steps I used to make it work.

Menu
Setup
Local channels
add locals
edit name
done
I did this and my whole system reset right in the middle of Bassmaster University. You know your a redneck if . . .