OTA guide data with 622 vs 921

sam-tip

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
With my 921 I get OTA Digital Service guide data for local digital channels. But with my 622 I do not get the Digital Service guide data. The guide just says Digital Service. Is something not set correctly? I do get all the guide info with my Samsung sirt451 digital tuner. I do not subscribe to locals. I get them with an antenna.

Dish enabled the Local into Local EPG until the end of the year on all the HD receivers except for the 622.

Why subscribe when I get them for FREE in HD over the air! The guide info is also free with equipment other than 622. Why pay for free content? Dish is blocking something that is FREE.

Why subscribe when I get them for FREE in HD over the air! The guide info is also free with equipment other than 622. Why pay for free content? Dish is blocking something that is FREE.

yes, yes they are. Doesn't seem right huh? you have to feed the dish pig

It gets better. Dish will not let me buy these locals. They are to far away. 88 miles. According to antennaweb.org. But HD comes in Great with very large antenna with amp and 40ft tower. I did qualify for distance networks until Dec 1.

It gets better. Dish will not let me buy these locals. They are to far away. 88 miles. According to antennaweb.org. But HD comes in Great with very large antenna with amp and 40ft tower. I did qualify for distance networks until Dec 1.

smilielol.gif
smilielol.gif
smilielol.gif
smilielol.gif
smilielol.gif
smilielol.gif

It's not really funny but you have to laugh at some of these rediculous things they do or it will really tick you off. Unfortunately Dish is still the best service out there IMO.

I subscribe to Cincy locals and get guide info for Dayton and Cincy HD channels on my 942 but get nothing on the 622. I hope they get this working soon, it is a pain setting manual timers for local HD shows on the 622.

It gets better. Dish will not let me buy these locals. They are to far away. 88 miles. According to antennaweb.org.
Someone or something says those aren't your locals, so Dish can't sell them to you.... Kinda like the whole distant networks fiasco. Don't blame Dish because they won't sell you those locals, but you can blame Dish for disabling the guide data for stations you receive OTA.

Heh, what they could do is "sell" you locals for a market that you're not in the spotbeam for. That way, there's no possible way for you to watch or receive those channels. But, because your account shows you pay for locals, those OTA ones will magically get guide data....

These are my locals. In towns around me cable has these same network stations. How they get the signal I don't know.

I live in the rural sticks of Iowa. If I lived ten miles north I could get them through Dish. I am just out of area. But with extra large antena and amp I get them in HD. Lots of snow with VHF. Digital is great for long distance.

The thing I don't like is the guide data is in the digital signal. With my stand alone off air HD tunner I see show info. But this does not help me set timers. I just don't like seting manual timers.

I am one of the persons getting free LIL service until 1/1/07. My 622 was installed about a month ago and have had the EPG info for the local main DTV channels from the beginning. However, program info for the sub-channels is not displayed in the EPG.

So essentially you can get no locals from them, and no listings for OTA either? Perhaps if you had a friend 10 miles north you could 'move' your service there, subscribe to locals and get OTA info.

Someone or something says those aren't your locals, so Dish can't sell them to you.... Kinda like the whole distant networks fiasco. Don't blame Dish because they won't sell you those locals, but you can blame Dish for disabling the guide data for stations you receive OTA.

Heh, what they could do is "sell" you locals for a market that you're not in the spotbeam for. That way, there's no possible way for you to watch or receive those channels. But, because your account shows you pay for locals, those OTA ones will magically get guide data....

Well, my 622 was inadvertently setup for NYC locals for 5 days. The 622 did show my Boston OTA AS WELL AS the NYC Dish locals, so I think you just need to buy SOME sat locals to get all guide data turned on.

I noticed that my ViP211 no longer has EPG data for the South Bend/Elkhart IN local ATSC stations. My ViP622 never did. I intensely disagree with the concept of having to subscribe to inferior programming just to get data in my EPG. I would pay $2-3/mo. for the guide data if it was correct and it included all of the sub-channels. But I have no use for SD programming that takes up valuable bandwidth and that I will never watch!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)