OTA HD Question

thebradybunch

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 20, 2003
I have an 811 connected to a Panasonic 30" widescreen HDTV. They are connected via a DVI cable. Here is my question. My HD picture on Dish is great but my OTA HD pic is not much better than SD. My signals on OTA are in the 90s. I know everything on the networks are not HD but the ones that are are shown in 16:9 but the quality isn't very good. Any suggestions?
Thanks

First, are you SURE you're looking at the OTA HD channels, and not the locals provided by Dish? Are you SURE you're looking at the DVI video source, and not s-video or composite? OTA HD should look even better than the Dish HD channels.

look at show that is on at primetime on like cbs,nbc,fox, or abc they will usually be in HD. Make sure you have the output set to 1080i or 720p on ur receiver. If you are watching a HD OTA program and you have everything set right then it will look better than the SD locals, no if ands or buts.

I think that is what my problem is. My Panasonic will not handle 720p and when I go to 1080i my pic gets shrunk. I have the 811 set at 420P and my pic on Dish HD is awesome. Is that why my OTA HD is not very good?

I think I fixed it

Ok, I changed the settings to 1080i. The picture is awesome, however a lot of my SD channels now come in 4:3 and I have to strech them. But it is worth it also my guide is pretty narrow. Any ideas. Also I tried DVI and component and got the same results.