OTA in Toronto

Mark2074

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, ON
This is my first post in this forum. I thought OTA was pretty much dead and gone, and then DTV put a new twist on it. So, I decided that I would like to get the Buffalo channels from here in Toronto, Ontario. BUT, I do not have a HDTV tv yet.

For years I've had problems getting OTA with my TV tower. Seems like I have a lot of interference in my area. So I have sort of given up on it. Then I recently started researching DTV and found that you could pick up OTA digital signals from Buffalo. I have a 30' tower with a combination VHF/UHF Antenna with rotor (older type). Would I be able to get DTV with this? I currently get 2,4,7,17,23,29 & 49 from Buffalo. My UHF channels come fairly clear in analog. I just have a problem with FOX. It comes in weak.

Since I don't have a HDTV set YET, I am opting to buy a digital receiver to convert the signal for my current tv set. I sub to BEV here in Canada, but I don't sub the US networks. I don't feel I need them because of all the sim-subbing that goes on. But, I would like to get some life back into my TV tower and would be a great addition to my BEV.

Could anyone from Toronto suggest a good HDTV/DTV receiver that is reasonably priced and where I could find them in Toronto. I have search the net for vendors, but seems they are mostly in the US. I am not interested in getting HDTV equipement through BEV. I just want a stand alone receiver.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I looked at DTV reception at Niagra Falls NY (between you and Buffalo).

There appear to be 7 digital stations, only one is operating at full power (Ch 32 WNLO UPN @1000kw). Here is a list:
Ch 14 - WUTV FOX - 35KW
Ch 32 - WNLO UPN - 1000KW
Ch 33 - WGRZ NBC - 240KW
Ch 34 - WNYO WB - 650W
Ch 38 - WKBW ABC - 385KW
Ch 39 - WIBV CBS - 790KW
Ch 43 - WNED PBS - 150KW

When you get your tuner you should be able to pick up several of these if not most.

Your old antenna should work for starters.

I got my tuner (Samsung SIR-T351 for ~$150US) on eBay about a year ago. If you buy on eBay, be sure to check the feedback of the seller before you bid.

Jim5506 is right when he recommends a DTV tuner from eBay will do nicely. I got mine from there using a eBay "store" called 1000goods. They are located in Markham, but read their description closely. Mine is also a Samsung and by using a Terk antenna I can also get Toronto's CTV and CBC in HD. CTV broadcasts a ton of HD programming. All their NBC, CBS & ABC shows are broadcast HD.

Thanks guys, I bought a Samsung SIR T351 on ebay yesterday for $60CAN. It's used with no remote. But, as long as I can use the front panel for menu I am happy. I didn't want to spend too much money on OTA, since I don't have a HDTV. I just wanted to get the digital channels for a spare TV I have. I just hope that my older style UHF antenna can catch the Buffalo locals from my location at Vic Park and Finch. This is the whole reason I bought the receiver.

Just to give you guys an update, I've connected the receiver to my family room TV, which is aways from the entry of the TV antenna cable. I got all channels, except & NBC CTV. NBC was breaking up because of a weak signal. CTV wouldn't come in at all and I have a rotor to turn the antenna. I thought being closer would help. It's in Toronto for pete sake.

Now with the NBC channel I heard that the tower was located at a lower elevation and can cause signal lose, so I needed to gain strength. My first problem was the cable run was way to long. Then I had a splitter installed mid-way somewhere, that had to go. So, I connected it to a TV way closer and removed the splitter and the signal was strong.

I lover the receiver too! The picture, in my opinion is better than BEV. LOL

I bought my Samsung SIR-T351 on eBay too. It also was sans remote, so I bought one on ebay ($35), but many of the newer universal remotes can control DTV boxes, and they are <$25.

My 351 has a great picture when teamed with my Sony D-50 (three eyed monster).

Jim, do you know which universal remote to buy? I have bit of trouble to find one that is for samsung SIR-T351. Any help would be appreciated.

I've search e-bay for weeks, no luck on an original :-(

Mark2074 said:
Jim, do you know which universal remote to buy? I have bit of trouble to find one that is for samsung SIR-T351. Any help would be appreciated.

I've search e-bay for weeks, no luck on an original :-(
Actually the remote I was thinking of was for my ReplayTV unit, sorry.

The remote for the 351 is MD59-00339A. Do a Google search, they are selling for $40-50 retail now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)