OTA issue

Yragha

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
My parents have the 222 I do believe it is, could be the 322. It's not a DVR. Needless to say they love it with one small issue...

Whenever the TV1 (HD, 42 inch) set is turned on the OTA channels won't come in. But get this, whenever TV1 is off and TV2 is on I get all the locals even the hard to get ones. What could be causing this?

*The locals worked before I recently gave them my 42 inch which I mentioned above. Before they had a 25 inch SD as TV1 and a 19 inch SD as TV2. Everything was fine. Now, it's not. I've gone from antenna to antenna and nothing changes.

I've switched out OTA modules, without any noticeable difference. Whenever the TV1 is off, TV2 locals come in clear as a bell. When TV1 is one, can't get but one or two (that's not a joke) locals and they are all in the 70% range.

HELP!

That behavior is bizarre, and probably we will need a wiring diagram to spot the trouble. (Your parents must have a 222k since they have the OTA module.) Are your parents using the OTA module in their 222k exclusively to tune broadcast stations, or are they using the tuner internal to the TVs?

I'm not understanding you, only because I'm not real knowledgeable about these things. They have the TV antenna hooked directly into the 222. The HD set is not involved in the process. We've tried however hooking the antenna up directly to the TV itself, (bypassing the OTA module hookup) with no luck either.

If I didn't know better I would think it's the TV, however - before I gave it to them it worked fine for me. I would bring in 70 locals on the 722k.

Can you explain what you mean "wiring diagram"?

Yes, it will find 65 or so with TV1 turned off. It finds about 20 with TV1 turned on.

A wiring diagram would tell us how everything is hooked up. Without this, we are shooting in the dark.

But I'm game! Since you aren't using the tuner inside TV1, try unhooking all coaxial cables from it. Your parents should be using either HDMI or component cables (5 in total) for HD to an HDTV. No coax at all. I'm suspicious that you have an illicit coax connection going to that TV.

No I am using the OTA tuner, I DON'T have the antenna hooked straight into the HDTV. I have the antenna hooked into the back of the OTA module on the 222k. I will get you diagram ASAP.

There are two coax connecters on the OTA Module. Make sure you are connected to antenna in, not the distribution one. Another shot in the dark.

Untitled.jpg

Here's the setup. Hopefully you can understand this, I made it quick.

Assuming that "three way splitter" is really a triplexer, everything looks to be hooked up correctly. Are the 222 and HDTV really that close? Did you check KAB's suggestion?

No, the TV is on the top shelf of the stand while the 222k is on the bottom. I have moved the 222 around as well, to no effect. I'm befuddled as you all. As I stated before I gave them my extra HD, all was fine. They could get locals on both SD TV's. Now, with one HD and one SD it's almost a no go.

Yes, I've checked his suggestion and all is connected as stated.

Worked fine with it SD and SD. Not at their house so can't tell ya for sure but that's the way the installer did it and it worked prior to trading the SD for HDTV.

I have the protection plan, would this be of any good in this situation? Would they switch out the box?

Yep, been there done that. =-)

I rescan once a month, with the two SDTV's I had 65 one Saturday, next Saturday when I did the swap out and gave my parents my new HDTV we got 20 locals on rescanning. Poof, their it went!

Did you delete all the HD locals from the ota tuner and then rescan?

Better still, disconnect the antenna from the receiver, do a scan, reconnect the antenna and then rescan. This will clear everything from the tuner/s and repopulate them.

I'll try but i highly doubt it. I've went as far as brought my parents my OTA module from my 722k and took theres. Theirs works fine in mine and they still get the same results in their 222k as before.

It really sounds like the local TV (TV1) is generating some sort of RF interference to the OTA module when it is on. Best to check the connector on the cable coming from the antenna to make sure it's not loose, or has a "twist on" connector...

To rephrase; sounds like there's plenty of signal getting to the OTA module until... you turn on the TV set. Some sort of "noise" is being generated by the set is stronger than the weaker signals coming from the antenna. This interference is over powering, or "drowning" the real signal. Most times this is due to a bad connector.

One more question, you drew a set top "rabbit" ears antenna. Is that what your parents are using, or is it an outside antenna? It's entirely possible that if it's a set of rabbit ears, the "noise" is going directly into the antenna & not the cable. If this is the case, I'd suggest moving the antenna from where it is to see if it still happens. For troubleshooting, a 50ft cable w/ ends from WalMart isn't too expensive. Get one of those & a barrel connector, put the antenna where TV2 is, see if you get all the channels w/ TV1 on, then turn on TV2 to see if they disappear like you have now...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)