OTA Local Program Guide

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

glenn z

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Any news on the local program guide for OTA stations? I'm sick of playing 1980 VCR guy and manually entering timers.

glenn z said:
Any news on the local program guide for OTA stations? I'm sick of playing 1980 VCR guy and manually entering timers.
I'm with you Glenn, very frustrating. Pardon my ignorance, but is there a way to at least set timers like a VCR to record OTA--start/stop times & channel?? I receive all my locals OTA via antenna. I'm not paying E* for locals. The only way I can see to record 'em is to manually start & stop. I wish they would at least block 'em off by the hour in the guide--all I get on any of 'em is NO INFORMATION AVAILABLE & no beginning/ending time. In other words I have to do a "quick record" and then have to manually stop it or I guess it would continue to record until it ran out of available time. ????? Thanks
ED

old corps said:
I'm with you Glenn, very frustrating. Pardon my ignorance, but is there a way to at least set timers like a VCR to record OTA--start/stop times & channel?? I receive all my locals OTA via antenna. I'm not paying E* for locals. The only way I can see to record 'em is to manually start & stop. I wish they would at least block 'em off by the hour in the guide--all I get on any of 'em is NO INFORMATION AVAILABLE & no beginning/ending time. In other words I have to do a "quick record" and then have to manually stop it or I guess it would continue to record until it ran out of available time. ????? Thanks
ED

What I do is set a timer for a show with the same start/stop time and then go into the timer and manually change the channel. For example, if I want to tape something on CBS that is on from 8:00 - 9:00 I will set A&E biography to record. Then pull up the timer and change the channel to my local CBS. Biggest negative is that in the PVR menu it doesn't show a program name (not sure if you can manually change this or not). If you have a bunch of shows taped they only show "Local Program" in the title.

This sucks.

glenn z said:
What I do is set a timer for a show with the same start/stop time and then go into the timer and manually change the channel. For example, if I want to tape something on CBS that is on from 8:00 - 9:00 I will set A&E biography to record. Then pull up the timer and change the channel to my local CBS. Biggest negative is that in the PVR menu it doesn't show a program name (not sure if you can manually change this or not). If you have a bunch of shows taped they only show "Local Program" in the title.

This sucks.

Dude, now THAT is what I call resourceful! Nice job man.

glenn z said:

This sucks.

I agree that does suck. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be a wise a**, but I was just wondering, won't it just be easier to pay Dish the $5 a month for the OTA?

I know and I agree, you shouldn't have to pay them for the info, but holy crap, ever since the OTA info showed up in my 921, it's been a much better receiver.

cclement said:
I agree that does suck. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be a wise a**, but I was just wondering, won't it just be easier to pay Dish the $5 a month for the OTA?

I know and I agree, you shouldn't have to pay them for the info, but holy crap, ever since the OTA info showed up in my 921, it's been a much better receiver.

I would rather switch to Comcast then be forced to pay for something that is free on my other receiver (811). Gotta take a stand at some point. Pretty soon they will try to charge a fee to access the remote control. :no

cclement said:

What about someone like me that lives in a rural area and recieves stations from three different TV markets? I would have to pay the freakin' $5+ bucks a month for the OTA info for just ONE of my markets, yet would not get the info for the other two markets I recieve.

It is total BS for Dish Network to give free OTA info for those who have an 811 unit, but FORCE (yes FORCE) those of us who purchase a more expensive, higher-end unit (the infamous 921!) to pay a monthly fee ON TOP OF the monthly DVR fee.

Ergen & Company :dev need to take care of this issue, because it really irritates me and may eventually lead to me leaving (PERMANENTLY) to getting either cable or going to the "other" major satellite provider. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)