OTA Locals & 622

abricko

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Greater Los Angeles area.
First off, I love the 622, there are a few minor bugs (which others have mentioned before here) but it is by far the best dishnetwork receiver and the best HDDVR out right now.

My only question / grip is my OTA locals... they all tune well but my guide data still says digital service, calling Dish they tell me that it takes 24 - 48 hours to get full OTA guide data they also told me the OTA guide data comes in OTA and not over the dish so that's why it takes longer... can anyone confirm this? I know sony makes a OTA DVR which does similar behavior and it takes up to a full week to get full guide data...

I do not sub to dish Locals and i have the Platinum Pack and I'm plugged into the phone line...

Otherwise this unit is great! Good job dish, i know they'll fix the little bugs...

Last edited:
WELCOME TO SATGUYS! :) Not true... The guide data comes from dish. what area are you in? it could be possable that they dont have guide data for your area. I know when I activated mine I saw guide data right away for my LIL hd OTA

abricko said:
My only question / grip is my OTA locals... they all tune well but my guide data still says digital service, calling Dish they tell me that it takes 24 - 48 hours to get full OTA guide data they also told me the OTA guide data comes in OTA and not over the dish so that's why it takes longer... can anyone confirm this?...

I do not sub to dish Locals and i have the Platinum Pack and I'm plugged into the phone line...
You won't get OTA guide data unless you sub to Dish locals with the 622/211/411/921/962.

Los Angeles

I'm in LA... so the tech fed me a line? I'll have to sub to dish's version of my locals in order to get guide data for my OTA? I'd like to use my OTA tuner to record locals... and leave the 2 dish tuners for dish / premium content... i think it's a waste of a tuner if you sub to dish locals and can't schedule recording (with guide data) using the OTA tuner. Has anyone actually verified this operation, i know most people in here sub to dish locals... i've only had this unit for a night... so i guess i'll give them 48 hours more and then call if i see nothing... for now it's manual timer recording :(

You won't get guide info for your locals unless you are subscribed to Dish locals. Once you have done that, you will be able to record your OTA channels without setting manual timers.

I am a new Dish customer (and new to this forum) and have not got my 622. But I asked the CSR today that I read that I could attach an OTA antenna and record shows on the 3rd tuner, essentially I could record 3 shows at a time.

He said that I can't do it and OTA isn't for me as I am going to get my locals via the satelitte.

Am I correct that I could do this? Any recommendations for an OTA antenna.

Thanks!

Jane

I'd recommend getting an antenna even if you're in a market that gets HD locals via sat. It gives you one more tuner you can use for recording stuff!

My locals are all pretty close to my house, so I bought an indoor amplified VHF/UHF antenna.. a Terk HDTVi. It works great. I get 82% signal on my weakest station and in the high 90's for most.

Look here: http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx to determine what stations you can get and what kind of antenna you'll need to get them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts