OTA locals, BB converters, and diplexers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

opticalc

Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
I'm upgrading from a HR10-250 to HR20-100S
Im using a diplexer system for one of the inputs to my HR10-250 for off-air locals.

Will I still be able to use this diplexer system for the HR20-100S to get off-air locals? Im concerned about these new "base band converters" that are required for the HR20, and that they may not be compatible with off-air locals using a diplexer

It isn't recomended using a diplexer with b-band converter (bbc). If you do I have heard that you have to put the diplexor in after the bbc. Be careful though as the bbc shouldn't be put outside due to the weather. This would only work really if you had a basement antenna that you want to use in my opinion.

The installer did say that If I got the zinwell 6x8 wideband multi-switch that the OTA antenna could plug into one of the FlexPorts, and the multiswitch would then feed OTA locals to all receivers connected to the multiswitch.
He also claimed that then I wouldnt need any diplexers, and that I wouldnt have to connect anything to the OTA port on my HR20 since the HR20 would switch the correct signals to the multiswitch to make the OTA locals come in...
This is all news to me.... anyone heard of this?

I've been using a diplexer since before MPEG4 on my HR20. I've found a way to reliable select the tuner which doesn't have the diplexer in the sat. input cable so that I can watch and record the MPEG4 channels. It seems I can always get the correct tuner if I start at an OTA channel and then select the MPEG4 channel I want to watch or record. MPEG2 channels work fine on either tuner. Sometimes I don't get a signal however when the HR20 autotunes an MPEG4 channel I wasn't expecting; it selects the wrong tuner.

Whenever we get spot beamed HD locals I'm dumping the diplexer. DirecTV won't even answer my request for a guess when that will be.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)