OTA Locals - SubChannels Guide Display and updates

hdrick103

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 29, 2003
The Nashville market has or will be adding a couple of new Digital networks to there primary channel lineup which I receive with an outside antenna. WKRN will be adding METV on January 12th to it 2.3 channel replacing Living Well Network. METV is a great choice for this area (I might add long over due). I will be watching it as well as the new GRIT network on my dish 922 receiver. My question which has probably already been posted over a thousand times is: How do I get the OTA guides on my receivers to load/display all the new Digital channels that are being added in the area. With rate heights just around the corner I will be cutting more of the cable while watching and recording OTA TV. All I will need is the updated guides.
Thanks, Happy New Year to the Forum!

Reactions: retrotv
You figure Dish would make their OTA tuner guide just as robust as Tivo's to offer an alternative to full cord cutting, eg welcome/smart pack with perfect OTA recording capabilities. Heck maybe the 722's and Hoppers can be made to add another OTA tuner and use it for Dish's new OTT service.

You can try and write an email to dishquality@echostar.com , but there is no guarantee that they will do anything anymore. Also try and write or call your local station and make sure that they are feeding the correct guide information for the sub channel so that DISH gets it.

Reactions: osu1991
You would think Dish would want or keep the guides up to date. My antenna picks up the channels OTA at no cost to dish you would at least think Dish could provide the updated guide. Having the capability to watch digital channels on my receiver adds to the value of Dish satellite services.....pay more get less....

WKRN will be adding METV on January 12th to it 2.3 channel replacing Living Well Network.
Does Living Well Network currently have guide data ? If so, the data for METV should simply replace it. Our local CBS has had a digital-sub-channel that was 90% weather since the digital transition and Dish has always shown guide data. A few months ago they switched to METV or MyTV and the switch was perfect on Dish's end.

Now, the local ABC added GRIT a few days ago to a sub-channel that didn't exist before. It has no guide data, nor did I expect it to, based on past experience.

The way Dish is doing these is almost entirely dependent on whether the channel is added or replaced.

Dayton 7.2 just added METV and the guide data for that channel showed up almost immediately. There was no guide data for that channel for me on Dish before. (Digital Service)

Don't TV's with ATSC tuners have to have someway to display PSIP information? IMO, Dish receivers should have the same requirement (if they elect to use Tribune instead of PSIP, that's fine, but the information contained in PSIP should be the minimum).

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Dish uses the TSID, which is part of PSIP data, and then matches it with the Tribune guide data that they have. They only seem to "buy" data for the stations they carry. The sub-channel data would appear to be part of the deal from Tribune, so under certain circumstances, Dish also provides it.

Does Living Well Network currently have guide data ? If so, the data for METV should simply replace it. Our local CBS has had a digital-sub-channel that was 90% weather since the digital transition and Dish has always shown guide data. A few months ago they switched to METV or MyTV and the switch was perfect on Dish's end.

No.. Living Well Network does not show and program data on 2.3 only WKRN. And THIS on 5.3 only displays WTVF, and 58.3 GRIT only displays WNAB.

DISH doesn't realize what a disservice they are doing to themselves. In Dallas "METV" used to have information when they were on 47-1 even though officially 47-3 was carrying PSIP for ME. Now that it has moved to 21-2 it is "Digital Service". I now use a Tivo with lifetime for all my OTA and use DISH for recording only 2-3 channels. How much longer will I keep DISH active?

Reactions: hdrick103
You would think Dish would want or keep the guides up to date. My antenna picks up the channels OTA at no cost to dish you would at least think Dish could provide the updated guide. Having the capability to watch digital channels on my receiver adds to the value of Dish satellite services.....pay more get less....
I agree and have suggested many times that if DISH doesn't want to do full sub channel guide data, they need to allow the psip data to be read by the receiver itself like my tv does it. DISH could do the main 4 networks on the satellite and the rest could use Psip data . That way you would get full guide data and it would make the service more valuable to many of it's subscribers.

Dish gets the guide data from Tribune Media.
Except for those stations where they don't publish a guide. Our point is if they don't want to use Tribune's information (for whatever reason), they should publish the PSIP data. IMO, if they take down a channel because of a dispute, they should publish the PSIP information. Taking the information down to annoy their customers looks petty on their part.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)