OTA locking worse since 265?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MikeF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
I have been experiencing a problem locking OTA signals since 265. The problem seems to be getting worse. My 811 is only used to watch CSI and Judging Amy in HD. Or to watch SD when the 510 is recording something I want to watch later. After 265 I immediatly started having the 49% problem, which I never had before. The 2 digital stations I get, CBS and FOX, both show signal strength of over 75% WHEN they will lock. Now, for the last 2 weeks I cannot get the CBS to lock at all. This happens no matter the weather conditions. It also seems that I have to reboot the 811 for various reasons, green dotted lines, no sound on OTA, scrambled guide, much more than I had to before. I have checked antenna alignment and it has not moved. Nothing has changed EXCEPT 811 software and the problems are getting worse. I have had great patience with the 811 but it is wearing out

It's hard to say, as I have switched from a Silver Sensor to a CM3021 and get much stronger signals now.

I do have a station, quite close, that takes over one minute to lock, but when it does locks at nearly 90%. Failure to lock isn't always a strength problem, it is often a multipath issue.

Multipath can get worse in summer when trees acquire leaves. Maybe this is why it seems to have coincided with the 265 release ....

Anyway, I haven't noticed the locking problem getting worse with 265. I HAVE noticed that my flippin guide gets corrupted much more and requires many more resets to clear up.

While this is not a fix, you may be able to lock on this station that as 49% if you press the info button before you get the "Can't get signal screen". By pressing the info button, then waiting a few seconds, and then pressing info button again two more times may give your 811 the the extra time it needs to lock on to the signal. Sometimes pressing the view button when getting the "Can't get signal screen" helps too.

MikeF said:
I have been experiencing a problem locking OTA signals since 265. The problem seems to be getting worse. My 811 is only used to watch CSI and Judging Amy in HD. Or to watch SD when the 510 is recording something I want to watch later. After 265 I immediatly started having the 49% problem, which I never had before. The 2 digital stations I get, CBS and FOX, both show signal strength of over 75% WHEN they will lock. Now, for the last 2 weeks I cannot get the CBS to lock at all. This happens no matter the weather conditions. It also seems that I have to reboot the 811 for various reasons, green dotted lines, no sound on OTA, scrambled guide, much more than I had to before. I have checked antenna alignment and it has not moved. Nothing has changed EXCEPT 811 software and the problems are getting worse. I have had great patience with the 811 but it is wearing out
Actually a lot has changed. Leaves are growing, temperatures are changing- all contribute to multipath. The other issues you mention are all know problems. Your CBS problem is OTA related. What antenna are you using? How is it mounted?

Thats funny because my 811 seems to be locking much easier than before. I've been pretty happy with it.

I just got mine, so I can't compare... I am about 30-31 miles from the HD towers and I get a good 90% or better on mine... I have 265...

My antenna is the largest one you can get from Radio Shack. It also has the strongest amplifier they sell. I don't think it is leaves since all weekend long I had no problem locking the CBS station. In fact, it was showing and 86% signal. I agree with the other guy, the 811 is trying to start it's own revolution against Charlie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)