OTA module and indoor antenna

kpip99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
Dish doesn't get my locals in HD so I would need to get an OTA module and an antenna to get my locals in HD. My question is does the antenna plug into the OTA module or into my tv ?

Or both. The OTA module allows DVRing. I connect to both, just in case.

I do both too but use an A/B switch on one of my Hoppers. You never know.
For an indoor antenna, I would think an A/B switch would be better than using a splitter. There are a couple of channels that I can barely receive a consistent signal on...a splitter would reduce that signal strength even further.

I live about 30 miles from the source of my locals. I have a Terk indoor amplified antenna sitting behind my TV with an old DirecTV 2-way coax splitter sending a signal to the Hopper and to my TV. I have experienced no measurable signal loss with the splitter installed. Seems to work great. Just my personal experience.

For an indoor antenna, I would think an A/B switch would be better than using a splitter. There are a couple of channels that I can barely receive a consistent signal on...a splitter would reduce that signal strength even further.
A splitter/amplifier would take care of signal loss, and provide simultaneous signal to both.

My antenna is in the attic. Got it amplified and split 3 ways to three Hoppers. TV stations are approximately 25 miles away. Signal strength is 100% on most channels. I think it is awesome with today's digital technology. I remember back in the 50s watching the TV as my dad on the roof was adjusting the antenna for a good picture. This was in a big city with TV stations close by. Even a good picture back then is nothing like todays quality.

Attachments

• OTA Antenna.JPG
    OTA Antenna.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 190
My antenna is in the attic. Got it amplified and split 3 ways to three Hoppers. TV stations are approximately 25 miles away. Signal strength is 100% on most channels. I think it is awesome with today's digital technology. I remember back in the 50s watching the TV as my dad on the roof was adjusting the antenna for a good picture. This was in a big city with TV stations close by. Even a good picture back then is nothing like todays quality.

Exact antenna and location that I have. Works great!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

Correct, a good 2 way splitter will attenuate your signal by 3.5 dB which is slightly more than 50%.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)