OTA on Hopper 3

zplugger

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 30, 2018
Fenton MI.
This is all new to me,, I guess with dish you can get your local channels ota? Does dish give you a free ota antenna? Paying 12.00 for locals now,just checking in on this ota stuff. If I have to buy a antenna what is a good one? Do those mat looking antennas work good if stuck on back of tv ?. Any info on this would be appreciated. Maybe some pics of ota antennas.

You need to buy an antenna that is appropriate for your reception area.

Look at TVFool.com and input your exact address. It will estimate how far and how strong your signals are. Unless you are less than 10 miles from your towers the flat mat antenna is rubbish. Best is an outside REAL antenna.

You also must buy an OTA adapter for the H3 - the least expensive one is $29 from AirTV (a Dish subsidiary) be sure to get the dual tuner one, it's white.

A Mudflap (AKA Mat) antenna is OK for UHF channels, higher than CH. 13, but almost useless for VHF channels. FYI your displayed channel is not necessarily its real channel. The FCC is in the middle of a "repack" reassigning frequencies and today the displayed channel is "virtual' with no relationship to the broadcast frequency.

AntennaWeb.org - Antenna Signal Prediction is a very good resource to determine what channels you can receive, their strength and direction along with what kind of antenna you should get.

This is all new to me,, I guess with dish you can get your local channels ota? Does dish give you a free ota antenna? Paying 12.00 for locals now,just checking in on this ota stuff. If I have to buy a antenna what is a good one? Do those mat looking antennas work good if stuck on back of tv ?. Any info on this would be appreciated. Maybe some pics of ota antennas.
Call Dish first, though. The qualification process for a free antenna is done systemically on accounts based on factors such as current programming, take-down impact and geographic area, among other things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)