OTA on Two Hopper 3’s

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dgcarver

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Bartlesville, OK
If I have an over the air antenna connected to one hopper 3 and have two hopper 3’s connected via DPH 42, can the other hopper 3 also access the OTA channels, or do I need an OTA antenna connection on both?

We looked into our information and it does say additional Hoppers require a second OTA adapter.

Great, That is what I suspected. Since Dish has dropped a couple of my locals and potentially will not get them back, I am going to install an OTA antenna to make sure I always have them.

Reactions: charlesrshell
To further that response, you need a second OTA adapter and a second coax from the antenna to get the OTA channels on the second Hopper.

How about this configuration?
2 Hopper Hookup.jpg

That looks like a single tuner adapter, too.

I have two of those from back when I was running dual ViP722's.

I thought that the 722 used an entirely different adapter. Is my memory that faulty. Once you hit 191 your memory is not what it was.

Reactions: pattykay
I thought that the 722 used an entirely different adapter. Is my memory that faulty. Once you hit 191 your memory is not what it was.
The 722 had a single OTA tuner built-in. The 722K had a big monster slide-in adapter. Neither accepted the USB adapter like the newer equipment can.

The way to think of it is a single Hopper is going to control and manage only ONE USB tuner with the result being only that Hopper will function properly with the USB tuner. So, ideally, the USB OTA tuner is to be installed inside the home next to each Hopper or H3.

Unless someone has done so, I don't believe you can install a single USB tuner and then have multiple Hoppers share that one USB tuner. Do correct me if I am wrong, but I think only ONE Hopper can magange and contol a single USB tuner for use on ONE Hopper only.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts