OTA on VIP722K and VIP211K

Gaw

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
My set up: I have the VIP722K and VIP211K receivers and have the optional OTA module for the VIP722K and the built in OTA on the VIP211K. I've installed an antenna in my attic and have run new 50' quad shield RG6 cables for each of the tv locations for my two receivers. I have a splitter in the attic where I connected the antenna in and the two outs that say -3.5db on them that I connected from each output to both of my receivers in different rooms.

My question: the 722k receiver gets mid 90s or above on almost all of my OTA channels except my CBS channel and it gets 87...the 211K gets lower 90s on all of the exact channels and on the CBS channel it gets 74. Why the discrepancy in signal? Get a new splitter? Your thoughts?

Thanks!

My set up: I have the VIP722K and VIP211K receivers and have the optional OTA module for the VIP722K and the built in OTA on the VIP211K. I've installed an antenna in my attic and have run new 50' quad shield RG6 cables for each of the tv locations for my two receivers. I have a splitter in the attic where I connected the antenna in and the two outs that say -3.5db on them that I connected from each output to both of my receivers in different rooms.

My question: the 722k receiver gets mid 90s or above on almost all of my OTA channels except my CBS channel and it gets 87...the 211K gets lower 90s on all of the exact channels and on the CBS channel it gets 74. Why the discrepancy in signal? Get a new splitter? Your thoughts?Thanks!

My 2 cents. I would vote just the different in signal meters. Take the splitter out and hook up directly to each receiver and see what kind of reading you have. If you think the splitter is the problem switch the two connections at the splitter and see if the 211 signals come up and 722 goes down.

If you get all the channels, there is nothing to be concerned about.

Different model receivers are known to display different signal levels.

It's like when I did my first DIRECTV 101/119 setup 15 years ago.

The signal on 119 was very very low. I was concerned I didn't have the dish properly aligned.

Took a dish receiver, hooked up to the legacy 119 Directv feed and got a signal in the high 90's

Since the signal on the dish box was excellent I was not concerned with the bad signal on the directv box

Reactions: pattykay
Ok...It's receiving okay but just thought it was on the lower end of the signal spectrum before I started getting pixelation.

Ok...so I'm watching OTA CBS (lowest channel signal - 84) and I am getting sporadic complete loss of signal and then it comes back on. Any thoughts?

Sorry...newbie...not sure what multipath means?
It means the OTA signal bounces off a structure (like a building) and causes two signals (the direct signal and the one that "bounced") to reach the antenna from different directions and potentially slightly out of sync, causing interference with itself, cancelling the signal out.

One of my OTA channels generally gets over 80 signal strength, but then occasionally fluctuates wildly to the point where the pixelation or complete blackout occurs.

You can try rotating or changing the position of your antenna to see if it helps. It's mostly just trial and error.

Several years ago I bought a very deep fringe UHF Yagi. I was hoping for distant TV signals, but no luck. But I do have plenty of signal from my local translators 12.2 miles away. All give me on the 211k 100% except a lp one (576w ERP) and I get 96-98%. We do get some dropouts at time.

Nothing to be done? Doesn't seem to happen on my other channels that have stronger signal

You can get an extremely directional antenna that rejects the multipath better than an omnidirectional or less directional antenna. The problem with this idea is that your transmitters are potentially in different directions, and they would lose signal strength as well. :(

Reactions: pattykay and Tampa8
Co-channel interference can also cause signal loss, for instance if there is another station in the area/region on the same or neighboring frequency. I also see interference on my normal channels during a Tropo event sometimes

Reactions: pattykay
Ok...so I'm watching OTA CBS (lowest channel signal - 84) and I am getting sporadic complete loss of signal and then it comes back on. Any thoughts?
Do the outages only happen when cars are passing by on the street, or when planes are flying overhead? It could be dynamic multipath. (signals bouncing off of moving objects) Even a properly aligned antenna may not help with that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)