OTA Picture Quality sub-standard

smooth28la

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
I delegated OTA recordings to my HD Tivo's when Hopper didn't have OTA (to get better picture quality).

Now the OTA module is out, I think the OTA's picture quality is a little 'soft' compared to that of the Tivo's OTA turner.

It's an definite improvement over the satellite delivered network channel (better color) but am a little underwhelmed.

Anyone feel the same?

No. I get as good as good OTA PQ as if antenna were going straight to TV.

I can see no difference from either TiVo Series 3 & Series 4 tuned to OTA than with the Dish USB OTA module. As for LIL and OTA difference in PQ for locals: VIRTUALLY no difference here in Los Angeles DMA. It is ever just slightly softer on Dish LIL, but that is to be expected considering Dish has to demodulate or decode it, then RE-encode it to send out the uplink. However, the LA LIL's are excellent, and even a bit better in that break-up/pixaling occurs OTA direct into TV and via TiVo during some demanding fast-action or movement with a lot of elements, while it is less noticeable on Dish LIL. The two PQ's are so close it really does end up being a draw between OTA and Dish LIL in the LA DMA.

There are the same turns out the picture setting for my other input has the contrast set wrong. You need to make all tv settings for brightness sharp contrast and color the same to compare.

I just finished redoing most of my network timers to use OTA.. it's so MUCH better than the DISH's satellite version...it's also true 1080i

Probably not exactly true. First, only two of the four Networks broadcast in 1080I. (PBS can be 1080I also but usually has many sub channels) Second, if any of them have sub channels there is a loss.........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts