OTA Problem

slabo

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 17, 2007
central illinois
sorry if this was discussed lately
i lose the signal off and on for 1 of my local ota channels. it's only about 10 miles away. it started a few weeks ago. everyting was fine after the audio dropout problem that was fixed a while back with the software update. but recently it's been dropping that one channel off an on. i have the 722 box with 447 software. a couple other signals are 40 miles away and never drop out. i hooked the ota directly to my tv and it keeps the signal just fine. i've tried it with and without the amp. i've rescanned the locals. my ota is a wineguard square sharpshooter i believe. anyone have any ideas? thanks for any help, much appreciated

volkodav

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 16, 2005
us
some times when you are to close that could cause a problem. what is the signal strength for the channel you keep dropping?

slabo

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 17, 2007
central illinois
signal strength is 70-75 which is whats its always been with no problems until recently. thats actually higher signal than some other channels i get with no dropouts. thanks

volkodav

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 16, 2005
us
is there any way maybe you can try aiming it a little better? when my antenna was in attic i was loosing all the time. because i couldn't turn it exact direction i needed my signal was 70-90 and kept dropping out every so often. i moved it out side and have no more problems

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
yup ive tried aiming differently too. it used to work just fine where it's at now. could it be a problem with the signal be put out?
If possible, try aiming it UP about 30 degrees. I live about 10 mi from towers and this did the trick with one of my problem stations.

gopherscot

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
Davenport, Iowa
Slabo:

I also have the Square Shooter and the 70-75 can cause you to lose signal. My signal strength is:

CBS 100
NBC 98
ABC 90
Fox 80
PBS 95

I just had them tweeked as my ABC signal and PBS were doing the same thing in the70's. It is really about locking in the signal and if the strngth bounces around 75 or less this may happen. My installer has a new guage he brought in that tells him the peak strength for each station and it gave me my reading you see above. Also wind can be a problem and cause your strength to bounce around. My stations are 6 miles to 30 miles away.
My suggestion is tweek the Square Shooter. Hope this helps.