OTA program guide and "moving"?

yaz96

Baby, It's Cold Outside
Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
I currently subscribe to local SD channels and receive HD OTA, so I have the local program guide on my receiver for HD OTA.

If I were to "move" so that I could receive HD via DISH, would I still have a program guide for my local HD OTA channels?

A. Would there be any program guide?
B. Would it still be my original citys' program guide?
C. Would it be the new citys' program guide?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Depends on a lot of factors. I have "moved" to Houston to get hd channels and I still get my ota guide infromation for my ota locals. My ota locals were just uplinked last month and have yet to be offered yet. But the ota guide information will map to the ota stations if they are uplinked to the satellite and you subscribe to locals from Dish. THis doesn't apply in all cases. Your mileage will vary.

MikeD-C05 said:
Depends on a lot of factors. I have "moved" to Houston to get hd channels and I still get my ota guide infromation for my ota locals. My ota locals were just uplinked last month and have yet to be offered yet. But the ota guide information will map to the ota stations if they are uplinked to the satellite and you subscribe to locals from Dish. THis doesn't apply in all cases. Your mileage will vary.

Okay, so my HD locals aren't uplinked and no plans to be soon.

So my original questions stand, please.

Last edited:
I live in one dma and receive OTA from another. I get most of the guide info for my OTA (the ones missing are local i and pbs, and all subchannels.) The info on the OTA channels are the correct ones, not the ones from the dma I receive via Dish.

I live in the Harrisburg DMA, but can easily pull in Baltimore OTA.
I get guide data for all the Baltimore & Harrisburg OTA HD stations.

yaz
for the digital channels guide ot show the SD locals for your market you are in have to be uplinked by Dish.

I live in Minneapolis but have Duluth, MN locals via Dish (SD only). I have a 811 and added an antenna for digital channels. The Duluth locals are grey in my guide and Minneapolis (in their 8000 area) are red even though I don't subscribe to them but the OTA data is shown for most of my Minneapolis channels
CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, UPN (My), and WB (CW) show for the -1 channels
PBS shows one of the 5 channels we have
Pax doesnt show because Dish doesnt uplink it

The sub channels don't show descriptions but the rest do :)

I've asked numerous times and have never gotten an answer, but does anyone know how Dish knows what OTA channels you're receiving are ?? I mean in the cases where you subscribe to your "local" locals yet also pick up a nearby city's locals via OTA and Dish fills in the guide data for them too ?? It must read the channel ID's that are sent OTA and Dish looks them up that way.

hall
I think you're right. As long as the ID you pick up matches what Dish has, it populates.

My local Pax just logs as 40-1, 40-2, and 40-3 whereas the networks say WCCO 4-1, KSTP 5-1 and KARE 11-1 (as examples) and have guide data

But there are some examples where it doesn't work. We have 2 PBS stations in Minneapolis (channels 2 & 17). Channel 2 has the National HD channel on their digital channel. Channel 17 has Channel 2 as 17-1 and 17 as 17-2. 17-2 has some guide info but 17-1 (even though Dish has the network) doesn't show any guide :(

hall said:
I've asked numerous times and have never gotten an answer, but does anyone know how Dish knows what OTA channels you're receiving are ?? I mean in the cases where you subscribe to your "local" locals yet also pick up a nearby city's locals via OTA and Dish fills in the guide data for them too ?? It must read the channel ID's that are sent OTA and Dish looks them up that way.
The reciever reads the channel ID from the PSIP stream.
For instance, if 2-1 puts out an ID of "WMAR-HD", then the reciever sees the WMAR part, and maps it to the channel within the satellite guide data that says "WMAR". If the PSIP does not include the first 4 letters in that exact pattern, then you can either get no guide data, or bad guide data (like when WMAR kept putting out WMAW by mistake."

If for instance, Dish ever put up Tube, then all the digital sub-channels out there that ID themselves as "Tube" would instantly map to that data, or PBS-HD for that matter.

622 hd output question

CW Now Available on Dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)