OTA Program Guide on 1000.4 Dish

khsjeepr

Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Johnson City, TN
I have searched numerous times and haven't come across a solution to my problem yet. I have a Vip722k receiver with an Eastern Arc dish. In my particular area, local channels are not yet offerered on the Eastern Arc dish (however they are offered on the standard dish for my area). I had to get an Eastern Arc dish because of LOS issues with the standard dish. Needless to say, I am using an OTA to pull in the local channels.

As many have stated, I cannot receive the program guide information for the local channels. However, my problem is because Dish does not offer the locals on the Eastern Arc dish and not because I'm not willing to pay for the local channel fee like many I have read about.

To make a long story short, I was watching TV one night last week, and low and behold, I had all of the program guide information for the local channels. No longer did it say "Digital Service" for an open ended time block like it normally does. I called Dish to ask them about it and to see if they could send me the program guide info for the locals. Even offered to pay for the locals even though I knew I wouldn't receive them through Dish. Of course, none of this held any merit.

Is there anything I can do to receive the program guide information for the locals? Why did I get the information on one occasion? Dish tried to tell me that it was probably from the TV station as to why I received the information. Funny to me that I would receive the program guide information for ALL the local channels during this brief time. Any help is appreciated.

You could try a "move" to Knoxville or Chattanooga. Check your signal on TP7 (Knoxville) and TP3 (Chat) from 61.5. This is Spotbeam 6. The map does not show the true coverage area of Spotbeam 6. You may be on the fringe of it's range.

You could try a "move" to Knoxville or Chattanooga. Check your signal on TP7 (Knoxville) and TP3 (Chat) from 61.5. This is Spotbeam 6. The map does not show the true coverage area of Spotbeam 6. You may be on the fringe of it's range.

I suppose I should have stated that I am definitely a newbie when it comes to satellite TV. I'm afraid that if I have to ask you how to do it, perhaps I shouldn't attempt. Is this assumption correct?

If not, please explain your literature...

Thanks again,
Alan

I suppose I should have stated that I am definitely a newbie when it comes to satellite TV. I'm afraid that if I have to ask you how to do it, perhaps I shouldn't attempt. Is this assumption correct?

If not, please explain your literature...

Thanks again,
Alan
Press the Menu button on your remote. Then 6,1,1. This should get you into the Dish Installation screen. Change the satellite to 61.5 and check the signal strengths on Transponders 3 and 7. The description should change to Spotbeam. If it does and the signal strength is 30 or more, you should be able to receive the local channels on that Spotbeam. You would have to change your service address with E* to a location that is allowed to receive the locals. "Moving" would allow you to receive the new locals and get the OTA guide data for your OTA channels.

Press the Menu button on your remote. Then 6,1,1. This should get you into the Dish Installation screen. Change the satellite to 61.5 and check the signal strengths on Transponders 3 and 7. The description should change to Spotbeam. If it does and the signal strength is 30 or more, you should be able to receive the local channels on that Spotbeam. You would have to change your service address with E* to a location that is allowed to receive the locals. "Moving" would allow you to receive the new locals and get the OTA guide data for your OTA channels.

Thanks again for your help. I checked Transponders 3 and 7. 3 has no signal strength. 7 has signal strength of 34-35, and you're right, it did change to Spotbeam. Now what? I have to call Dish and tell them I moved to an address that would be appropriate for a Knoxville service? I have the Dish Protection Plan so I'm not sure how this would work. Suggestions?

Thanks again for your help. I checked Transponders 3 and 7. 3 has no signal strength. 7 has signal strength of 34-35, and you're right, it did change to Spotbeam. Now what? I have to call Dish and tell them I moved to an address that would be appropriate for a Knoxville service? I have the Dish Protection Plan so I'm not sure how this would work. Suggestions?
Sorry I took so long to respond. Didn't have a chance to get on SatGuys last night at home.:( You can search the forum for "moving" threads. The basic idea is to go to the Dish website, enter an address for Knoxville and see if it qualifies for locals. Many people who have "moved" have chosen a restaurant or dry cleaner or Post Office. If you add an "A" such as 123A W. Main Street, Knoxville, TN 37902, it will usually go through. (The above address works.);) Remember, you only want to change your service address. Keep your billing address the same. If you need service under the DHPP, change back and then call for service. After finding a valid local address, call Dish and talk to a CSR. Tell them you already have the dish installed and you just need to change the service address. Good luck.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts