OTA question for a clueless person (me!)

I think I'll stay put with my current bet. :D

What was that exactly? I can't relocate our bet a the moment. I feel like your suggestion above was part of it.
No, we were only betting on the Hopper Duo. (Although the Home Media part of that bet may apply to any receiver model that has already lost it.)
Well, I still owe ChadT41 a one-year pub membership next year, from my earlier bet with him. (HipKat covered the first year of ChadT41's Pub Membership, since HipKat also jumped in on that bet. Also, it was HipKat who originally provided the information about why the Joey 3 and 4K Joey would not support Amazon Prime, which later turned out to be incorrect. So, it is only fair that he pay first.) So, how about a one-year Pub Membership, with a deadline of December 31, 2021? If I am right (Amazon Prime comes to Hopper Duo first) then you pay for ChadT41's Pub Membership next year. If you are right (Home Media returns first) then I owe you a Pub Membership. If neither one happens, then it is a push, no win and no loss.
(From the newest New Software thread, that should be a sticky, but has not yet been made sticky.)

Reactions: TheKrell
No, we were only betting on the Hopper Duo. (Although the Home Media part of that bet may apply to any receiver model that has already lost it.)

(From the newest New Software thread, that should be a sticky, but has not yet been made sticky.)
The Duo? :eeek I was under the impression that I would win if Home Media returned to my H3, not if it returned to your Duo which has a number of limitations the H3 does not.

The Duo? :eeek I was under the impression that I would win if Home Media returned to my H3, not if it returned to your Duo which has a number of limitations the H3 does not.
That is correct. I meant that the Amazon Prime part of the bet only applies to the Hopper Duo. I specifically said in the next sentence:
(Although the Home Media part of that bet may apply to any receiver model that has already lost it.)

Sunday afternoon, and watching Kansas- Miami game on CBC over the antenna!! No pixelation. Life is good and cold beer tastes delicious!!

Here's the story and getting weirder! :

I went up to the attic few hours ago. My goal was to rotate the antenna toward South to Lexington to eliminate pixelation on CBS and its subs. Started slowly changing the direction. Nothing worked. The farther I moved, the worse all the stations got. Before I threw the towel, I moved the antenna farther NW. Almost 290 degrees. IT WORKED!! The wifey who was checking the tv informed me CBS looked great. I secured the antenna, checked all the locals and their subs. Perfect.
According to many web sites recommended here the transmitter towers are located South or Southwest to my location. But, rotating the front of the antenna the opposite way toward North did its magic.
You guys are much more experienced than I am. Maybe, somebody can explain to me.

Thanks for all the help. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.:cool:

I am guessing somebody has the front and back of the Terk55 reversed from reality.
Or, depending on how close he is to the tower, he actually reduced the signal STRENGTH to make the signal QUALITY better. If he was truly aiming SW to hit Lexington, I find it VERY doubtful he'd be able to pull in the Cincinnati stations 60-70 miles away off the back of the antenna.

Or, depending on how close he is to the tower, he actually reduced the signal STRENGTH to make the signal QUALITY better. If he was truly aiming SW to hit Lexington, I find it VERY doubtful he'd be able to pull in the Cincinnati stations 60-70 miles away off the back of the antenna.
Sam; the front of the antenna (the end without the logo and coax connection) was pointing at West (270 degrees). I slightly moved the front to the left between 240 and 270. Pixilation on CBS stayed the same. l kept moving toward South, the change was limited. Straigh South at 180 degrees made some stations really bad, especially PBS (KET). I was ready to surrender. My curiosity took over, and changed the direction toward North, slightly at 280 degrees. CBS improved and it was solid. I went down to my master bedroom and checked every ota channel. All r looking really good. (Compared them to locals provided by Dish, except subs). Couldn't tell the difference. Even that NBC from Cincinnati (main station and one sub, Metv) looked fantastic. I only lost some religious station and its subs. They didn't matter to me.
This is an 18 year old preamp antenna. U think the direction shouldn't be different with different type of antennas. Who knows?
*My second floor furnace is not too far from the antenna. 7-8'. Fortunately, it did not interfere.
* The towers r roughly 20-22 miles from me.

Sam; the front of the antenna (the end without the logo and coax connection) was pointing at West (270 degrees). I slightly moved the front to the left between 240 and 270. Pixilation on CBS stayed the same. l kept moving toward South, the change was limited. Straigh South at 180 degrees made some stations really bad, especially PBS (KET). I was ready to surrender. My curiosity took over, and changed the direction toward North, slightly at 280 degrees. CBS improved and it was solid. I went down to my master bedroom and checked every ota channel. All r looking really good. (Compared them to locals provided by Dish, except subs). Couldn't tell the difference. Even that NBC from Cincinnati (main station and one sub, Metv) looked fantastic. I only lost some religious station and its subs. They didn't matter to me.
This is an 18 year old preamp antenna. U think the direction shouldn't be different with different type of antennas. Who knows?
*My second floor furnace is not too far from the antenna. 7-8'. Fortunately, it did not interfere.
* The towers r roughly 20-22 miles from me.
Somebody was kind enough to send me the link for Terk55 manual. I looked at it. The entire surface (with the name and model number) is front of the antenna. I assumed the front was either pointy edge. The installer hang it incorrectly because label side was facing North. I did not flip the antenna, just changed its direction. And, it worked.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 10.12.28 AM - Edited.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 10.12.28 AM - Edited.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 81
Somebody was kind enough to send me the link for Terk55 manual. I looked at it. The entire surface (with the name and model number) is front of the antenna. I assumed the front was either pointy edge. The installer hang it incorrectly because label side was facing North. I did not flip the antenna, just changed its direction. And, it worked.
So you have the front face of the antenna pointing which way now? I'm really confused. Obviously, don't change anything, but the fact that you're getting Lexington AND Cincinnati stations (or just the NBC?) is what's confusing me.

So you have the front face of the antenna pointing which way now? I'm really confused.
Sorry Sam; I will be clearer. That Terk55 antenna looks like an arm. Both pointy edges look identical. According to the manual, the side that has the name is front, and the coax is attached underneath. The installer attached the antenna to a metal bracket hanging from a rafter. He aligned perfectly, the side with the label(which is supposedly front) facing north toward Cincinnati. But, the transmitter towers I need r located South toward Lexington. If I understand correctly, the front of any antenna should face the towers, in my case South. I thought I needed to loosen the bracket and flip the antenna so that label side (front) would face South. I didn't do that. I changed the direction just a bit. That new direction provided great receptions from all Southern towers and Cincy's NBC which is close to 70 miles up North.
If u click the thumbnail, u will notice the label side, front, facing u. So, that side is facing North. The pointy edge on the right (when u r looking at the picture) is facing West. Pretend u r standing in front and looking at the label and logo side. Grab that edge (facing West) and rotate little bit toward North (Now that edge is showing about 280 degrees on my iphone compass.)
Hope I was able to explain myself. I only get NBC (channel 5) and its sub, Metv from Cincinnati. The rest are all Lexington and one extra public station (52 from Owenton and its 3 subs) from Northwest (Owenton).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 1.16.17 PM - Edited.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 1.16.17 PM - Edited.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 102
Sorry Sam; I will be clearer. That Terk55 antenna looks like an arm. Both pointy edges look identical. According to the manual, the side that has the name is front, and the coax is attached underneath. The installer attached the antenna to a metal bracket hanging from a rafter. He aligned perfectly, the side with the label(which is supposedly front) facing north toward Cincinnati. But, the transmitter towers I need r located South toward Lexington. If I understand correctly, the front of any antenna should face the towers, in my case South. I thought I needed to loosen the bracket and flip the antenna so that label side (front) would face South. I didn't do that. I changed the direction just a bit. That new direction provided great receptions from all Southern towers and Cincy's NBC which is close to 70 miles up North.
If u click the thumbnail, u will notice the label side, front, facing u. So, that side is facing North. The pointy edge on the right (when u r looking at the picture) is facing West. Pretend u r standing in front and looking at the label and logo side. Grab that edge (facing West) and rotate little bit toward North (Now that edge is showing about 280 degrees on my iphone compass.)
Hope I was able to explain myself. I only get NBC (channel 5) and its sub, Metv from Cincinnati. The rest are all Lexington and one extra public station (52 from Owenton and its 3 subs) from Northwest (Owenton).
Makes perfect sense. I'm a little surprised you only get the Cinci NBC. Looking at antennaweb.org, it looks like there are three other Cinci stations about the same distance from you. If I'm reading it right, the NBC is the one in Clifton Heights (and apparently the Cinci PBS is in the same area).
1608043223394.png

Even so, still impressive.

Who knows? Another scan may get those, too. Kinda funny to watch local news from Cincy and see what those Ohioans r up to.
The time of day that you scan can be a factor, due to different atmospheric conditions. To pick up additional distant OTA stations, the best times to scan are usually late evening, in the middle of the night, and the early morning hours. I have also had luck picking up additional stations by scanning right before a thunderstorm approaches. (I think the signals bounce better off of the storm clouds, and that kind of focuses the signals more toward my antenna.) Trying to add as many distant OTA stations to my guide as possible is kind of a hobby of mine. Having said that, those signals do not come in all of the time, nor is the picture necessarily reliable when they do come in. So, I can understand why most people may not want those harder-to-receive stations in their guide for everyday use. It is something to watch just for the novelty of it when there is nothing else good on TV, though.

Reactions: sam_gordon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)