OTA question for a clueless person (me!)

Wow! Your antenna is that far away! Was I wrong thinking that u use either preamp or distribution amplifier, not both at the same time? Is this an apartment complex that required so many coax connections?
thanks for your input.
Yes, you could use the both. The preamp might be needed just a single TV. The distribution amp (DA) would be needed if you have a lot of television (4+) that you're feeding. Remember, a single spit (one input to dual output) cuts the signal in half. A double split (one input to four outputs) cuts the signal to 25%. The DA basically means you feed four TVs (or however many) with no signal loss.

Reactions: sktrus
I downloaded both drivers. ( Ha......gue and SichboPVR tuner software. Assuming they r the right ones for windows 10.) When I tried to install Hauppauge driver, it asked me to insert the adapter to laptop's usb port. I hesitated. I was not sure if it meant the Hauppauge adapter (that I don't have). All I have is airtv adapter. Can I substitute that insert it to the laptop?
Yes, stick the AirTV adapter into the laptop. See what happens.

Yes, you are not going to break the adaptor or the laptop, it will simply work or not. If it doesn't work you really haven't proved the adaptor is defective though.

Yes, you are not going to break the adaptor or the laptop, it will simply work or not. If it doesn't work you really haven't proved the adaptor is defective though.
This is why I suggested a trade:

I haven't tried that. I do have one of the old Hauppauge dual-tuner OTA adapters if you want to try that, though. I know for sure that my adapter still works for my OTA stations. Maybe we can work out a trade.
sktrus could try a known good adapter (my old Hauppauge adapter) and see if it will work with the Hopper. Meanwhile, I could test the AirTV adapter to see if I can get it to work. If sktrus's Hopper still can't find any OTA channels with the other adapter, then there is something wrong with that Hopper. If I can't find any channels with sktrus's AirTV adapter, then the adapter is dead.

Reactions: TheKrell and Bobby
Wow! Your antenna is that far away! Was I wrong thinking that u use either preamp or distribution amplifier, not both at the same time? Is this an apartment complex that required so many coax connections?
thanks for your input.

It’s a house with a detached garage - just so happens that’s where all the service lines originate.

I use both a preamp amp and a distribution amp because of the distance. From the distribution amp - I send to two splitters and on to every room in the house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, I plugged an AirTV dual adapter into my PC. It's detected as "USB ATSC Device". Hauppauge drivers do not install...get "Compatible hardware not found". However, I also get "Your card's model number is: 20xxxx and is working correctly."

SichboPVR of course then says No television devices have been detected.

So, as Roseanne Roseannadanna said, "Never mind."

• Haha
Reactions: pattykay
OTA on the Hopper and Joeys work like this: Along with your antenna you need an OTA adapter from either DISH or AirTV (they are the same product just a different color and AirTV costs much less.) You attach the antenna coax to the OTA adapter and then plug the adapter into one of the Hopper's USB ports. Then on the Hopper you scan for channels and save them. This will bring those saved OYTA channels into you Hopper guide and you can watch them just like you would the satellite channels. The OTA channels will have a -1, -2, -3 (if there are sub-channels available) whereas your satellite locals will not. Example, say you have a channel 2 in you local area. The satellite channel would show as channel 2 and the OTA channels would show as 2-1, etc:

View attachment 149136

The Joeys would receive the channels the same way. You can watch the locals up to two channels at a time on any of your TVs.
Agreed, $30 air tv adapter, coax in one end, usb into Hopper 3, go to home, menu, settings, ota scan, picked up 44 channels, saved only my locals, I now have OTA's in my guide and can record as well. I could of done this 10years ago and saved mucho coins ! Coax from OTA antenna of course, forgot that in original post !

Reactions: TheKrell
OK, I plugged an AirTV dual adapter into my PC. It's detected as "USB ATSC Device". Hauppauge drivers do not install...get "Compatible hardware not found". However, I also get "Your card's model number is: 20xxxx and is working correctly."

SichboPVR of course then says No television devices have been detected.

So, as Roseanne Roseannadanna said, "Never mind."
Thanks buddy, I don’t need to go out that route then. still Waitin‘ for that antenna to arrive.

Maybe in the meantime, you could verify the software level on your Hopper 3. In case you haven't done this:
- Press Home twice
- Settings
- Diagnostics

Check software version. It should be U939. If not:

- Tools
- Upgrade software

Let it download and reboot a few times. When you see the standby screensaver that says Press SAT to watch TV, DON''T PRESS SAT or anything else.

Reactions: sktrus and pattykay
This is why I suggested a trade:

sktrus could try a known good adapter (my old Hauppauge adapter) and see if it will work with the Hopper. Meanwhile, I could test the AirTV adapter to see if I can get it to work. If sktrus's Hopper still can't find any OTA channels with the other adapter, then there is something wrong with that Hopper. If I can't find any channels with sktrus's AirTV adapter, then the adapter is dead.
Well, I just sold that OTA adapter, so I no longer have it available to trade. Never mind. Sorry.

Thanks everybody. Things r getting weird! In a good way!!:)

When I first tried airtv adapter on Hopper 3, The scan showed 0. then, I tried other 2 usb ports. Still 0. I took the preamp out of antenna coax. Tried. Nothing on all 3 ports. Had no idea what to do. Blamed the old antenna.
Bobby suggested that I unplug the Hopper and plug it back. (Hopper was showing OTA connection although airttv was not plugged. ) Well, I did that today. Again, coax from antenna (with power injector turned on) was connected to airttv adapter. And adapter to the bottom usb port behind the Hopper. Turned tv on then Hopper. Hopper said it detected ota and asked if I wanted to scan.!!!!!!!!! I did.

(Drum Roll pls!).

It started finding stations!!. Just like my experiment with small tv, it found 43 stations. I couldn't believe it. Still getting NBC WLWT 5 from Cincy, which is 70 miles North of me, and it looks great. Public tv and its subs very very good. CBC and its subs r still Crap.

I checked the software version. Still the same as it was last week. Here they r:

Hopper 3 U936 11/07/2020 3:03 AM
Appl. Soft. AN458

Joey 2 U766 11/07/2020 3:29 AM

I have absolutely no idea why or how Hopper managed to find those stations.

Still 2 questions:

1- The Guide shows all the OTA stations. But No information available. So, how do you record any show? No time blocks or program names to select.

2- Does adding distribution amplifier between airtv adapter and antenna (preamped) coax help to improve signal quality or is it just a dumb idea? (Mostly thinking the future if I cancel Dish)

Thanks y'all from a happy camper.:bluesbros

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts