OTA question for a clueless person (me!)

A 4 way splitter reduces signals at the output ports by 75%. You should still replace the antenna since you have little fade margin (or none) on some channels, and may still be missing others. The (poor) preamp in your Terk antenna can't handle a 4 way splitter most likely. With only a few exceptions, antennas with build in preamps, have poor preamps. The Hopper 3 probably has a poor tuner (not familiar with them) that performs poorly compared to many TV tuners. You have to hit it with a good quality signal. A high end antenna on the other hand, with quality preamp should have no problem driving a 4 way splitter, as is.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks 907tech; As long as I have Dish service, I want to be able to record and skip commercials. Since everybody's experience with antennas r different, I am struggling to pick what will work the best for me. It has to be an attic antenna. out of the way, already wired. I don't want to keep ordering antennas and returning them back. I am thinking I will keep the old antenna up there, put the new one and switch the old coax to the new antenna. I am curious what difference it will make.
Do you think antennas with separate power cord (no preamp) offer better signal if I use 4 way splitter? I have to have a splitter to use tvs in different rooms.

Thanks 907tech; As long as I have Dish service, I want to be able to record and skip commercials. Since everybody's experience with antennas r different, I am struggling to pick what will work the best for me. It has to be an attic antenna. out of the way, already wired. I don't want to keep ordering antennas and returning them back. I am thinking I will keep the old antenna up there, put the new one and switch the old coax to the new antenna. I am curious what difference it will make.
Do you think antennas with separate power cord (no preamp) offer better signal if I use 4 way splitter? I have to have a splitter to use tvs in different rooms.
One does not need to order new antennas if the right selection is made initially, that is where rabbitears comes in. This is very common with OTA, people may just keep trying them until they reach a place they are satisfied with. We can't generalize about antennas with no preamp, there are good and bad. Try your new antenna without a preamp connected straight to a single TV, and get it aimed well. Then determine if a preamp will be needed.. I doubt if an unamplified antenna will provide a good enough signal through a 4 way splitter but you can try it. You should be able to reach your goals installed in the attic, I do with my homemade antenna and quality Kitz KT-200 preamp.

Reactions: sktrus
1- The antenna I ordered is coming soon. Is it foolish to replace what I have (terk55 in the attic) thinking I can get better signal for CBS?

2- The current antenna is hanging horizontally with a bracket from one of the roof rafters. It is not on a mount.Should I leave it alone or is it possible to slightly rotate to get CBS? I hate to lose some stations just to get unpixilated CBS.

3- Some here at forum r saying that a splitter degrades the picture quality. I have 4 tvs at home. Just wifey and I. No more than 2 tvs will be used at the same time (with ota and a splitter , no hopper 3 usb). I am thinking about getting a 4 way coax splitter. What should I be looking for? I'd rather spend few more bucks to getter better quality product. (This is just in case I cancel Dish in the future.)

4- Why is Hopper3 not receiving any ota station? Is it the Hopper or airttv tuner causing trouble?
If I had my choice, I would use ota with Hopper 3 to be able to record. Anything I should do?
I'm no real expert in broadcast TV, but I'll take a swing at those anyhow.

1, 2 - I would first try rotating that Terk to see if you can optimize reception for all of the stations you care about. That's free! That polar plot of TV stations (is that what rabbit ears is good for?) is a good place to start. I'm in the happy situation that all my Washington stations and my Baltimore stations, are in the same direction. Annapolis isn't that far off. Manassas is apparently making it in on the back side of my antenna.

3 - There are "distribution amplifiers" which I have used to good effect in the past when I had lots of tuners (722, two 612's, and my PC tuner). This doesn't have a ton of gain which might overload if you have nearby stations, and some come with a built-in splitter.

4 - Now that is a total mystery. Your H3 should scan in pretty much like your TV tuners. I do not now use any tuner but that AirTV tuner, for the reasons you stated. Is it possible it was DOA?

Reactions: sktrus
I have used both, simultaneously and separately.

Preamp helps with weak stations. Sometimes.

Distro amp, and I think my current one is a four way, boosts the signal to reduce losses as compared to regular splitter.

You've proven that you get signal from the Terk.

What I would do now, sktrus, is:
1. Unplug the OTA adapter from the Hopper.
2. Take the coax, barrel and all, and connect the end that is currently in your small TV, and plug it into the OTA adapter.
3. Plug the OTA adapter into a USB port of the Hopper.
4. See that it is recognized.
5. Scan for channels.
6. Report back here.

Reactions: pattykay
Also, from this site it looks like your CBS channel is the lowest transmitter power of your local channels. Make sure that the Terk is level and perpendicular to the line to that CBS transmitter, by using your trusty compass and rabbitears, etc. Also, is the Terk on the end of the house that is closest to the direction of the transmitters? The Terk manual discusses that.
By moving it slightly you might find the right compromise that brings in the CBS channel without losing anything.

Reactions: TheKrell
You've proven that you get signal from the Terk.

What I would do now, sktrus, is:
1. Unplug the OTA adapter from the Hopper.
2. Take the coax, barrel and all, and connect the end that is currently in your small TV, and plug it into the OTA adapter.
3. Plug the OTA adapter into a USB port of the Hopper.
4. See that it is recognized.
5. Scan for channels.
6. Report back here.
I will do that. Extra coax from from power projector to airtv adapter. I will be damned if Hopper 3 gets the signals. Should have thought of that. Too much excitement with 43 stations!!

Also, from this site it looks like your CBS channel is the lowest transmitter power of your local channels. Make sure that the Terk is level and perpendicular to the line to that CBS transmitter, by using your trusty compass and rabbitears, etc. Also, is the Terk on the end of the house that is closest to the direction of the transmitters? The Terk manual discusses that.
By moving it slightly you might find the right compromise that brings in the CBS channel without losing anything.

yes, the attic antenna currently in the back, not front of the house. My attic's entrance is on the closet ceiling. I will read that article and figure out exactly how to find out line to cbs tower. I read there r some iphone apps that help u with this task. Any recommendation?

Distro amp, and I think my current one is a four way, boosts the signal to reduce losses as compared to regular splitter.
Navychop; What is a distribution amp? Without a splitter, how do you manage to get signal from one antenna to several tvs (without video degradation)? I am novice here.:rolleyes:

A coax coming from antenna. u have 4 coax cables coming from 4 different tvs. What kind of gadget I need to connect them? If 4 way splitter reduces the signal strength, then what?

Reactions: charlesrshell
4 - Now that is a total mystery. Your H3 should scan in pretty much like your TV tuners. I do not now use any tuner but that AirTV tuner, for the reasons you stated. Is it possible it was DOA?
Oh, no! DEAD ON ARRIVAL. There is no way of knowing unless I order another one. I won't do that. Many here say tv tuner works better than Hopper tv tuner.

Many here say tv tuner works better than Hopper tv tuner.
Not that much better!!!

I stil think there's something wrong there. You are plugging it into a known-good cable and scanning for stations, aren't you? Just trying to cover the bases...

• Love
Navychop; What is a distribution amp? Without a splitter, how do you manage to get signal from one antenna to several tvs (without video degradation)? I am novice here.:rolleyes:

A coax coming from antenna. u have 4 coax cables coming from 4 different tvs. What kind of gadget I need to connect them? If 4 way splitter reduces the signal strength, then what?
Most distribution amps have multiple (often four) outputs. Basically, the splitter is built-in. The split still reduces the signal strength, but the amp makes up for that. The only catch is that the amp introduces some noise, but usually not enough to be a problem.

I stil think there's something wrong there. You are plugging it into a known-good cable and scanning for stations, aren't you? Just trying to cover the bases...
I went to check the coax cable (I used between power projector and small tv.) It is 5' long and says "Belden 79 ohm RG6" on it. If I remember correctly this cable was used between a tv and cable service outlet. Gush, like 30 yrs ago. Kept it just in case. Has the RG6 cable quality improved over the years? A new cable will work better?

Joegr;
Most distribution amps have multiple (often four) outputs. Basically, the splitter is built-in. The split still reduces the signal strength, but the amp makes up for that. The only catch is that the amp introduces some noise, but usually not enough to be a problem.
thanks for the info. What do you suggest? Have u used one?

I went to check the coax cable (I used between power projector and small tv.) It is 5' long and says "Belden 79 ohm RG6" on it. If I remember correctly this cable was used between a tv and cable service outlet. Gush, like 30 yrs ago. Kept it just in case. Has the RG6 cable quality improved over the years? A new cable will work better?
There has got to be something wrong with that AirTV adapter. This is the dual-tuner verison, isn't it?

• Love