OTA question

qcjoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Ohio
My Dtv contract will be up in about two months. I figured out from you nice fellows that i don't get my local CW with Dish. That all being said should I get a OTA first before so I can make sure I get the CW? I can only have on that's in the house so does any one have any recomendations? Also will the OTA connect to the new dish dvr so I can record things? Thanks

Get an OTA antenna....which no one should be without (if in range) IMO. Then move forward with your decision process. And yes, an OTA adapter will blend the locals in your channel guide. It's a no brainer!

Last edited:
It's great, with the 211k, the OTA channels guide is along with the Dish guide. One channels have no EPG, but still it makes it nice to record directly to the HDD.

Reactions: qcjoe
I have read conflicting reports as to whether the 211k incurs a DVR fee or not. I know the 211z (lacking OTA capability) does not trigger a fee. Does anyone have a definitive answer on this matter?​

I have read conflicting reports as to whether the 211k incurs a DVR fee or not.

For a 211k, you would pay a one time fee ($40 if memory serves) to activate EHD access on your account, but after that, there are no monthly fees.

Also will the OTA connect to the new dish dvr so I can record things?

To the OP, should you be looking towards a Hopper 3 as part of your install, be advised that there are currently issues with the H3 recording OTA programs. Viewing OTA live works fine, but when you record OTA programming, most recordings are full of video pixeling and audio drops. Dish is aware of the problem, but it still hasn't been fixed after seven months, so who knows when that might finally be resolved.

I can only have on that's in the house
I'm not sure I understand this. If you're saying your homeowner's association prevents you from having an outdoor antenna, that's illegal. Whether you want to fight it or not is a different story.

As far as what antenna to get, go to antennaweb.org or tvfool.com to put in your address and find out what's available to you.

Sorry poor choice of words. I want one in the house because Im not able to put one on the roof.

Sorry poor choice of words. I want one in the house because Im not able to put one on the roof.
Satelliteguys.us has an OTA forum where you might get better answers. Irregardless more information is needed Ohio covers a lot of territory at the minimum give us a zip code to figure out your location and where your broadcast signals come from. Better would be if you could post a www.tvfool.com report for you exact address.

I have read conflicting reports as to whether the 211k incurs a DVR fee or not. I know the 211z (lacking OTA capability) does not trigger a fee. Does anyone have a definitive answer on this matter?​

There should be no conflicting information here, the 211 series has never incurred a DVR fee because they are not a DVR. When you add your own external hard drive it allows you to record to it and for all purposes it is a DVR but only because of your added EHD so there is no DVR charge. As mentioned there is a one time $40 charge to add an external hard drive, and the recordings on it are not compatible with any other type receivers. VIP and Hopper receivers can share external hard drives. Apparently from what I was told the new Wally can not share with any others. Having an OTA adapter built in has no bearing.

Satelliteguys.us has an OTA forum where you might get better answers. Irregardless more information is needed Ohio covers a lot of territory at the minimum give us a zip code to figure out your location and where your broadcast signals come from. Better would be if you could post a www.tvfool.com report for you exact address.
It says that a indoor anntenna will get me the CW. That's a neat little tool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)