OTA Questions...guide data and pass through

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dhageremtp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
North Dakota
I am curious, I just hooked up an antenna to my 722. I can pick up 7 OTA channels. If I hook the ota cable directly to my TV I can get the same 7 channels with local quide data. Why can't I get the guide data on dish. I do subscribe to locals from E. MInd you I am in a DMA that has two NBCs, CBSs, ABCs, and PBSs and dish only carries my local CBS, but has the other NBC, ABC, and PBS...so those channels say digital service, the CBS works fine. The question is why doent dish allow the local guide data that is sent from the channel to be shown?

Bismarck, Minot, Dickinson DMA [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Bismarck_TV[/ame]

Next question, is there a good way to pass through the channels to my tv for times when the weather is bad and dish is out? Currently I have my 722 connected via HDMI only. Would I connect a coxial to the tv from the dishs analog output or would I split the OTA cable prior to hooking it to the 722.

Thanks!

You need to wait until the guide updates tonight and then see what shows.
If dish carries the sd or hd version of the other market channels, you will get the guide data. I subscribe to the new orleans dish channels, but i get the baton rouge channels thru my antenna. I get aLL of the guide data for the baton rouge channels, EXCEPT for abc, which dish doesnt carry.
When the dish is out you can still get the channels thru the antenna. If the dish starts going out, you could change to an antenna channel. If it is on the searching screen, you would have to select menu, then guide, then pick an antenna channel.

The question is why doent dish allow the local guide data that is sent from the channel to be shown?
Thanks!

The two primary reasons (other than they don't want to) are:

PSIP data in most cases is only 12 hours for most stations.
DISH has no control over what actual information the station is providing OTA.

Both those reasons make using a DVR (especially one with name based recording) extremely difficult.

I am in Bismarck and I have had the locals for several years. CBS has never had guide data. The rest all show data here.

And the OP is in the Minot area so he gets CBS data and none of the others. Unfortunatly thats the way it will be unless someone can convince DISH to add the guide data for ALL the channels in this DMA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)