OTA questions. In guide? 2nd and 3rd channels?

Big Bob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
I have never really thought about getting OTA until I found out the some of the stations in my area broadcast some nice reruns on their 2nd channels.
Some quick questions.
If I get an OTA module for my 722k...
2) are the 2nd and 3rd OTA channels available too?
1) will the 2nd (and 3rd) channels show up in my guide and do they record just like satellite channels?

Thanks

But those 2nd and 3rd channels may not show what is playing in the guide. Just a caution, the channels are still there.....

now that is a different take on it. What determines whether the information on the other channels will be in the guide or not? Is there a list anywhere?

Even if the information is not in the guide for some of the sub channels, you still can watch them, and can record them. It's just more work to record them. You would need to look-up online what the programming is, then set a manual timer for those times. Every market is different as to what is in the guide and what is not for the sub channels. It is definitely worth it to add in an OTA antenna given that it gives you a third channel that can be recorded/watched.

But those 2nd and 3rd channels may not show what is playing in the guide. Just a caution, the channels are still there.....

For me, the info on most of the sub-channels doesshow up for both my local DMA and other ota locals, Syracuse NY and some Buffalo NY sub channels.

Wrong answer. E* doesn't use PSIP. They use the Tribune Media service to supply the info. So it will depend on if the service has the info. Some of mine do some don't have info.

Right, and that is how Dish set it up. It is a shame they are denying us PSIP as that would have made the whole issue of "Digital Service" almost non-existent and made their OTA function extremely desired and reliable, making the whole Dish experience a positive one. However, Charlie wanted the extra $5 per month (LIL charge that includes data for OTA), instead. Let me say, I would NOT mind the requirement of LIL subscription to show OTA guide data IF Dish would have guide data for all the OTA's or at lest 99% as TiVo does. It seems clear that Charlie feels OTA guide data is virtually last on his list.

PSIP information is too flakey to be usable with DVR - totally dependent on what the station puts in it - garbage in - garbage out.

We have one station with no PSIP data, it shows up on some tuners as channel 00.0.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts