ota reccomondation for me

moviemax

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
I currently use the voom box and the voom antenna to receive all my locals and they come in just fine. the only one I cant get is the local wb station which local to me is the location is in portsmouth, oh. the name of the station is whcp tv wb 30. I ordered a power inserter for my antenna. will that be enough to get it to work? I live in charleston, wv zip is 25314 if that helps. I appreaciate any help i can get.

Check www.antennaweb.org. Enter your zip or a more definite location to view everything that's available to you, direction, distance, etc. From that you can compare WHCP to the others in terms of distance, etc. A booster won't give you a signal that's not being received by the antenna. It's more to overcome lengthy coax runs. You might have problems in that WHCP is too far away, or there might be obstructions or terrain in the way. You might need to add another antenna just for WHCP - that's one option. Try the booster first since you already ordered it. If that doesn't work, try the other options. Note: Some of your other locals that you are currently receiving fine without the booster might be hindered by the booster due to too much signal strength overloading the amp or tuner. Good luck!

That is because your area is served via W53BJ translator/repeater. The actual affiliate is some 82 miles away and the repeater is only 3 miles away. I THINK repeaters only pass SD signal, maybe someone can confirm that?

thanks for your help everyone. If i need an antenna just for the one channel, can you reccomend one? and will i need a booster/ amp as well?

and you may be right theres no way of knowing if this network is passing only an sd signal or not.

and you may be right theres no way of knowing if this network is passing only an sd signal or not.

Well, I was referring to the translator / repeater only; the affiliate in Portsmouth does.

Look into these UHF antennas and a pre-amp:

Aim at 298° and get it as high as you can.

Winegard HD 9095P
Winegard PR 9032
Antennas Direct 91XG
Terrestrial Digital 91XG
Channel Master CM 4228
Antennas Direct DB8

Pre-amps
Winegard AP8275
Channel Master CM7777

Last edited: