OTA, receiver woes need some help.

thatsnotright

Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Hey All! New to posting, been lurking here a while.

I received the crappy Wishbone OTA from Voom. I was very disappointed in its performance (there is a local FOX tower 11 mi from here that it won't pick up). Bought myself a ChannelMaster 3678. That didn't help with Voom. I'm still using the original Wishbone diplexer. So I bought a RCA Distribution Amp. I can pick up two channels now, however one of the channels that comes in is the furthest away and the weakest via normal reception. So I'm curious why I can't get these other OTA channels that are in the same area of Denver (same angle as well for me) that are around 60 mi away. The picture quality if I just hook it up as antennae is awesome, but Voom refuses to show them.

Also. I was experiencing constant problems with one receiver. It would freeze at the booting process, or not get a satellite signal (I swapped out receivers just ot make sure it wasn't the cable, the other receiver worked fine). Finally stumbled across a post about the phone line. Unplugged it, everything works great now. What the heck is going on here? I have no PG info either, on both boxes.

So my post comes down to: what's wrong with the phone that it makes that box behave so poorly? What should I do to my channelmaster/voom setup to enable reception of local channels? I'm so frustrated with Voom right now. Thanks in advance!

I love HD.

Software Version

It claims Software Version 2.40, Secure Firmware version V16, NEP 733.

The one receiver is now back to the no satellite signal problem. I'd call Voom but all they want to do is send a tech out, and I hate the tech they keep sending out. I wonder if a mess up with the polarity of each receiver could cause a problem? Left_Horiz vs Right_Vert?

sound like you have a bad receiver you may have to have a tech come and replace it. and if you don't like the tech that keep coming to your house tell them that you request that they send someone else out to do your service call.

by the way are you leaving you recevier on at night if not left it on and maybe you will be target for the 7.34 upgrade this might also fix your problem but it want hurt to try.

Doesn't the "Verify Voom" in the Installer menu force a download of the latest version?

Also to be clear, the receiver must be turned off (standby, not unplugged) to be targeted for an update if I understand it correctly. Worked that way on mine anyway.

Doug

Well

It's at 2.40, I thought that was the latest version?

It seems to be when both receivers are flipping channels that most of the problems come in to play.

One thing that really is starting to annoy me is that ABC came in on one receiver for a night, and now won't. The signal strength is 80-82, on a Channel Master with a signal amplifier. Yarr.

thatsnotright said:
It's at 2.40, I thought that was the latest version?

It seems to be when both receivers are flipping channels that most of the problems come in to play.

One thing that really is starting to annoy me is that ABC came in on one receiver for a night, and now won't. The signal strength is 80-82, on a Channel Master with a signal amplifier. Yarr.

sound like you have a bad box to me.

thatsnotright said:
I received the crappy Wishbone OTA from Voom. I was very disappointed in its performance (there is a local FOX tower 11 mi from here that it won't pick up).

My 'crappy' wishbone OTA antenna gets 95-99 signal strength on all local OTA DTV channels, range of 18.1 miles. I'd say unless you have a one off bad antenna, something else is wrong.

Are you sure you are checking your local RF frequencies in the installer menu, and not channel numbers? If you don't use the correct RF freq's for your area, the signal strength will hover around 75-82 no matter what you do to the antenna.

Good luck,

Rob.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)