Voom OTA help...

Wally,

You just need to make sure your antenna is hooked up to the Voom receiver and that it is pointed in the right direction. Then you do the scan and should pick up channels if you are set up right. Then you can go into the system menu and hide or unhide the channels that you want to be able to have access to.

Hoopnoop said:
Wally,

You just need to make sure your antenna is hooked up to the Voom receiver and that it is pointed in the right direction. Then you do the scan and should pick up channels if you are set up right. Then you can go into the system menu and hide or unhide the channels that you want to be able to have access to.

Hey Hoop thanks for the info. But let me ask you this question then. So I really don't need to go to option 3 (Aim Off Air Antenna) in the installation wizard, you know where there is a box call RF and and the signal strength meter? What is that for then? What I have been doing is play around with different RFs starting with 2 and I then scan the channels (option 4) when I get the meter to go past 80-85. You know what I'm talking about right?.

Well, let me know. Thanks a lot.

Wally

Purpose of Aiming screen for antenna...

The aiming screen is for zeroing in on stations that you can receive from your DMA or from other DMA. Using the aiming screen can fine-tune your antenna for the best reception of one or all of the channels you want to receive. For example, if you receive multiple channels in one direction (East, West, North, South) then you might want to aim in the best area of this direction in order to get the best signal quality overall out of those channels without having to move your antenna constantly by hand. If you are in the position to receive channels from more than one market (DMA) then you might consider the rotator option. The antenna aiming screen best comes into play with this option. Depending upon how far away the signal in, the slightest angle turn can give you anywhere between not enough signal and just enough signal. I have done this with multiple stations to get the best performance out of my equipment. For example, I can turn my rotator to the exact angle of where I get the best signal quality, signal strength, and signal-to-noise ratio. If that particular channel is around 100 miles away, then just 1 degree turn means the difference between watchable and not enough signal.

In my situation, the antenna aiming screen has been a great reference for my rotator since I can get channels from 3 DMA's (channel markets).

OTA Voom: must the receiver be activated?

I am thinking about buying a Voom for OTA..ebay guy is selling them for $40. I just want it for OTA must the receiver be activated for it to do this function? Is something too good to be true really untrue in this case?

Tanks alot

issasteve said:
I am thinking about buying a Voom for OTA..ebay guy is selling them for $40. I just want it for OTA must the receiver be activated for it to do this function? Is something too good to be true really untrue in this case?

Tanks alot
Yes, the receiver must be activated. Otherwise it will not be able to tune to OTA channels. If the seller cannot guarantee that receiver can tune to OTA channels, do not buy it!

Ilya: Even if the Voom receiver was activated, but for a different geographical region, let's say activated in California, will this same receiver work in the mid-west, or in the east coast? Just curious. Thanks.

Yes it will. Assuming it has firmware version 6.10 or above with channel scanning capability. All receivers that stayed active when VOOM DBS went down, have channel scanning.

Of course ideal situation is when you get a box that was activated in your DMA. Then all channels are already there and you do not need to scan anything.

riffjim4069 said:
Personally, I would stay away from boxes with 6.10 and 6.20 - too many mapping problems.
I agree. Though it's very unlikely that an activated receiver would have a firmware that old. If the box stayed active and connected to the dish till the last day it should have the latest firmware which is 07.37 (aka Nep. 737, aka Software Version 2.4C).

Voom channel scanning etc

I bought a Voom receiver on Ebay for receiving OTA HDTV. It appears to have firmware V16, and though activated, apparently does not include the Wizard for finding stations. Can anybody help me on getting it to work? (It picks up one local station, on 4.1, that should be coming in on 2.1.) Thanks!

Try hitting the Voom Button then the green button twice. This will let you into the installer menu #7 I believe. Highlight #7 and hit ok. This will take you to scan for local stations #4 I think. Hit ok and see what happens. Do you have an antenna set up to pull in any local stations? It should be pointed towards your antenna farm. www.atennaweb.org wil help you with that. Let me know if this helps.

Can I scan Voom receiver without remote

I just received a Voom HD tuner but without a remote. Can I do the scanning without the remote? Thanks

Old software/firmware?

SnaggerBob -- thanks for the tip on scanning for local channels. I think I must have an out-of-date software/firmware set on my Voom box -- it picks up one channel (4-1) with my antenna, but it's really the feed from what should be 2-1 here in my local market. I hit green button twice but can't get to scan for locals anywhere. Thanks,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts