OTA Reception Drop-Outs 443?

imstriker

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
My OTA reception has gone back to spotty and horrible again since 443 came out. Anyone else noticed this? Everything was working beautiful until 443. Now I am getting the 100 signal to 0 back to 100 thing again just like the old inbetween software versions. I hadn't noticed anyone complaining, so maybe its just me this time...

With the signal droping then coming back up you have multipath problems. Is your antenna in the attic, inside or outside. All Dish recievers do not handle multipath problems very well.

How can you minimize multi-path issues?

TimR><>

Use a more directional antenna.

I read a thread one time about a guy in downtown Atlanta who had to pick up TV signal from between 2 tall buildings and the multi-path off them was driving him crazy, even with an very narrow beam yagi. He solved the problem by mounting the yagi inside a metal trash can and pointing the open end toward the stations.

With the signal droping then coming back up you have multipath problems. Is your antenna in the attic, inside or outside. All Dish recievers do not handle multipath problems very well.

But why would it work fine with one software version and not another?

I'm with you on the multi-path annoyance. My antenna equipment hasn't changed and the drop-outs are back. With the last software everything was great. Since 443, I'm back to the issues they introduced several versions ago with these random drop-outs. I was just curious if others noticed this behavior before I started redoing my antenna setup....

I've got random dropouts on OTA locals (all UHF, using a CM4228 antenna on a 20' mast). I didn't have them before 441 .... I haven't got 443 yet. It's like a blink.... sometimes it's just a momentary pause with no sound. Other times I've dropped right out to a blank screen, but it comes back almost instantly.

Is that what you're seeing? If so... I'm getting it on 441 as well and didn't have it prior to that. Hoping 443 fixes it. :)

I feel like I have been having more OTA problems as well.

I have been trying a lot of different things though (different antennas, splitters and amplifiers), so I can't pinpoint the exact time to see if the issues are do to the software update.

FWIW, I second the notion. My OTA reception has gotten markedly worse in 443 - so much so, in fact, that I ended up rescanning all the channels and moving my antenna around. Still seeign strange signal strength fluctuations and random drop outs.

When I get home I'm going to disconnect the antenna from the 622 and connect it direct to the TV (like it was before I got the 622) and see if .... nah.......wait a sec.... I'm seeing these same "skips" on my OTHER receiver which is a 508PVR. I remember watching a show with my wife the other night upstairs and it skipped a couple times. Also saw this in a recorded movie that was from satellite, NOT OTA.... and wondered WTF was going on.

Maybe I'm seeing something unrelated to what you're talking about.

I'm with you on the multi-path annoyance. My antenna equipment hasn't changed and the drop-outs are back. With the last software everything was great. Since 443, I'm back to the issues they introduced several versions ago with these random drop-outs. I was just curious if others noticed this behavior before I started redoing my antenna setup....
I'm having the same issues. Just got 443 and now have some very annoying dropouts. A friend of mine that just installed a CM4228 antenna and was getting 90 - 100 SS on all channels is now experiencing OTA issues with 443 that he didn't have with 441.:(

Thank you for making me feel not alone :) Unfortunetly, welcome back to Dish flip-flopping on actually fixing this issue. It was so nice to have it working with the last software. I guess we are stuck until a new version is released again and then maybe it will work a while. Couldn't they wait until after the NFL season to break this again :)

There are many things that can affect OTA television signals...depending on your local geographical and weather conditions signal strength can very considerably especially the further you are from the transmitters.

Bellow is an excerpt from article by Todd Emslie:

“Tropospheric ducting of UHF television signals is relatively common during the Summer and Autumn months, and is the result of change in the refractive index of the atmosphere at the boundary between air masses of different temperatures and humidities. Using an analogy, it can be said that the denser air at ground level slows the wave front a little more than does the rare upper air, imparting a downward curve to the wave travel.”

The entire article can be found at:

UHF TV-DX and fringe reception techniques