OTA Reception issue with H3

jgags6

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Rockford,IL
It's been 3 weeks now since my Hopper 3 has been put in and I am still having issues when tuning to an OTA channel. When I tune to it you can watch the show but every 5-10 seconds it pixelates, not the whole screen just a line or so. It happens on every OTA channel, and it happens on my H3 4kJ and 2.0J's. I had Directv before hooked up through my AM21 and I didn't have this problem so I don't believe it is my antenna. Is anyone else having this problem? If so any ways to work around this or is this a software problem?

Thanks !

I have the problem on 1 channel with my 211K and 722K. All but 1 station in my area are on UHF. The ABC affiliate decided to go back to it's
VHF assignment after the transition to digital. Of course this is the station my wife watches a lot of. I had a solid signal on all of my locals before
they moved back to VHF. You can see the antenna I was using in my avitar. Then I had to install a VHF/UHF antenna on my roof
about 10' below where the UHF only antenna was. I also look right through a 4 story hospital about 1/8 of a mile away.

The pixelation only happens when we have airplanes fly over going into Philadelphia IAP. I only live 10 miles from the airport and when they
are landing to the west they fly right over our house and that's when we have the problem. This could be a problem of multipath.

As a suggestion I would look at your antenna and coax coming into the Hopper 3 OTA. Also there is another thread here where several posters are
saying they are having problems with the Hopper 3 OTA module. I bought one for my Hopper 3 but right now I'm watching my locals from the
satellite.

Edit: Here is 1 of the threads on the OTA problems:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/anyone-having-ota-reception-problems-with-h3.357631/

Good luck.

There have been other reports of OTA Issues with the H3 - please forward any additional information you might have on your individual, specific problems to DIRT for them to add to the "Known Issues" list. The more information they can obtain the more weight it carries and the more it assists in isolation of the cause(s).

Reactions: JSheridan
It's been 3 weeks now since my Hopper 3 has been put in and I am still having issues when tuning to an OTA channel. When I tune to it you can watch the show but every 5-10 seconds it pixelates, not the whole screen just a line or so. It happens on every OTA channel, and it happens on my H3 4kJ and 2.0J's. I had Directv before hooked up through my AM21 and I didn't have this problem so I don't believe it is my antenna. Is anyone else having this problem? If so any ways to work around this or is this a software problem?

Thanks !
I have been having this same problem on my Hopper 3 and Joeys. I never had this problem on my HWS, but since switching I am getting a lot of pixelation as you described. I don't have any issues on my other devices (Xbox One, TV tuners, etc.), but OTA on the Hopper 3 has been very problematic.

Reactions: D. Manley
Update on the OTA issue... How the Hopper 3 works fine, but the 3 joey 2.0 and 1 4k joey are still having this problem.... And of course the 4k joey is the TV I use the most :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)