OTA signal loss on H3 with dual OTA adapter

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
Yesterday we had a rash of severe storms in the early evening. I expected signal loss on Dish, but when I switched over to my OTA channels, I noticed they were dropping out too. Is this common? I didn't realize OTA signals were as susceptible to signal loss as satellite signals. Or maybe it's the dual OTA adapter that is the problem? I have near 100% signal quality (normally) on the channels that were fading.

Weird atmospheric conditions, especially approaching thunderstorms, can cause interference from other OTA stations on the same frequency that are farther away and wouldn't be receivable under normal conditions. For example, I usually get 100% signal on one station near me, WGGN which broadcasts on RF channel 42. Sometimes though, I get interference from a station in Canada that broadcasts on the same frequency (CKCO) which can drop the signal reading dramatically on WGGN and cause the picture and sound to break up or even briefly drop out completely. I know that it is interference from Canada because when this happens, I am able to receive other stations from Canada that don't normally come in, that are on other frequencies that are not used by any local broadcasters in my area.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Weird atmospheric conditions, especially approaching thunderstorms, can cause interference from other OTA stations on the same frequency that are farther away and wouldn't be receivable under normal conditions. For example, I usually get 100% signal on one station near me, WGGN which broadcasts on RF channel 42. Sometimes though, I get interference from a station in Canada that broadcasts on the same frequency (CKCO) which can drop the signal reading dramatically on WGGN and cause the picture and sound to break up or even briefly drop out completely. I know that it is interference from Canada because when this happens, I am able to receive other stations from Canada that don't normally come in, that are on other frequencies that are not used by any local broadcasters in my area.

Sounds kinda like the tropospheric ducting that usually happens at night and brings in stations from far away

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts