OTA signal strength on 622

Z-man17

Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
I've had my 622 for a week and LOVE it - but have soem issues w/ OTA signals. I'm about 10 miles away from my locals - all UHF, but I'm slightly on the backside of a hill (with trees) from the stations. With a "decent" outdoor antenna on the roof a 2 story house I'm getting signals strengths from mid 60's to low 70's - and MOST of the time the oicture is awesome - BUT - it has become common for the picture to go
away and I get the yellow screen - saying no signal - for about 5 to 10 seconds. Then it jumps back in, and says I have a signal stregnth of around 65 to 70. Is this normal (to lose picture) with an average stregnth of 65 to 70?????
Thanks!

odd.. can't say I have that issue.. cabling seems to play an issue. The longer run cable going from my box in the bedroom to my main tv actually has a better signal than the shorter cable going from my box in the bedroom to the tv hanging on the wall in the bedroom.

But in all cases I get the same signal from the 622 that I get from my tv's

It sounds like you may have a multi-path issue. Perhaps tweaking your OTA antenna or maybe upgrading it to a more directional antenna.

Try a Channel Master 4228 antenna. Everything I have read, and my experience with various antennas, seems to indicate that this antenna is phenomenal at resolving difficult reception issues. Always keep in mind that there may be issues surrounding your location that may have an adverse impact on your ability to receive OTA digital signals.

Hello and thank you for the great forums. I am looking at leaving D* for E*, as the 25 HD channel line up + locals, seems great. Also D* now says, no more new HD until summer 07.

My question is, My locals seem to be available (I am 30-35 miles nw of chicago) through the dish. At least the 4 majors, in HD (I would miss out on WTTW-HD.) The E* rep confirmed thse would come through the dish and not an OTA. That would be good for me, as I do not get ch. 2 HD, and my signal drops on and off with the current antenna (I do not actually have line of site due to a large hill, but have my antenna pointed at a water tower at the top of the hill, about 1000 yards away.)

So, I see you all still talking about OTA. Is that because the PQ is better of the antenna, or ?

Also, I read something about being able to have another recording session going, if you use OTA, due to 2 HD tuners and another tuner for OTA. Could someone clarify that as true or false (for the Vip622t) or offer link to more information.

thanks in advance.

T_R_E said:
I read something about being able to have another recording session going, if you use OTA, due to 2 HD tuners and another tuner for OTA. Could someone clarify that as true or false (for the Vip622t) or offer link to more information.

thanks in advance.
Yes, the 622 has three tuners available for recording, two for sat tuners (including HD channels on both) and third tuner for OTA.

I installed a Winegard 8 bay UHF only antenna on Sat. I also installed a UHF only pre-amp - mounts on (and at) the antenna, with a power supply through the coax jut behind the 622 receiver. It "up'd" my signal strength quite a bit and I am getting my OTA locals MUCH better. But I learned a lot in the process, and was able to speak to some really good antenna guys. Facts are, that UHF OTA signals are influenced quite a bit by all kinds of things (humidity for one) - Unless you have a totally unubstructed line of site to the station antenna and are less than 25 miles or so....life holds no guarantees. My solution is no guarantee for others. My 3rd attempt at an OTZ antenna produced acceptable results.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)