OTA sub channel ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
I just purchased the dual ota tuner for my HWS. Everything seemed to work just fine. I looked over the guide & all of the locals & sub channels were listed. As I went thru each channel, I found one sub channel that was listed in the guide, acted like it was going to appear on the screen, but never did. All I ever got was just a black screen. I tried the other HWS with the old OTA dongle & same result. The funny thing is that all of the TV's will bring up this sub channel.

Anyone experienced that or have an idea of how I can remedy?

I just purchased the dual ota tuner for my HWS. Everything seemed to work just fine. I looked over the guide & all of the locals & sub channels were listed. As I went thru each channel, I found one sub channel that was listed in the guide, acted like it was going to appear on the screen, but never did. All I ever got was just a black screen. I tried the other HWS with the old OTA dongle & same result. The funny thing is that all of the TV's will bring up this sub channel.

Anyone experienced that or have an idea of how I can remedy?

Yep. Contact the station engineer, and tell them to fix the PSIP data they are transmitting. There's something wrong with it. Tv's ignore that missing transport stream ID data under the "program number" part of the signal, but DVR's need it.

Tell him it works on your tv's, but not on your dvr through your OTA antenna. He should then know what change to make.

It’s also possible that his dual tuner dongle isn’t as sensitive as the tuners in his other TV’s and devices. My dual tuner dongle is less sensitive than any of my 3 TV’s.

For this problem probably not the issue. The older OTA one tuner having the same problem more points to the ID missing or wrong. True however TV's seem to have a better tuner.

This is a very common issue with dvr's and OTA broadcasting ATSC PSIP data info, and a wrong setting at the station as I said above. I've had it myself 4 times since 2014 with my Tivo Roamio. I just Googled the station call letters, got the engineers name off their web site, and emailed them what issue I was having. They fixed it and emailed me back. Easy.

Yep. Contact the station engineer, and tell them to fix the PSIP data they are transmitting. There's something wrong with it. Tv's ignore that missing transport stream ID data under the "program number" part of the signal, but DVR's need it.

Tell him it works on your tv's, but not on your dvr through your OTA antenna. He should then know what change to make.
I wouldn't hold your breath. I wonder if the engineer you contacted had previous knowledge of an issue so they knew what to fix. Saying "It works on my TV but not my DVR" IMO isn't enough information. My first guess would also be because of a signal issue getting to the DVR (although if they get the other channels of the station, it shouldn't be a signal issue).

I wouldn't hold your breath. I wonder if the engineer you contacted had previous knowledge of an issue so they knew what to fix. Saying "It works on my TV but not my DVR" IMO isn't enough information. My first guess would also be because of a signal issue getting to the DVR (although if they get the other channels of the station, it shouldn't be a signal issue).

Why so negative? You don't think they know what they are doing? It worked on 4 different local stations here, and it wasn't the same engineer during the last several years. They know what to check and fix, they just need to know people are seeing an issue in the first place.

Reactions: joegr

I had to track down the email for the engineer at one of our local stations for a very similar problem. He quickly found and resolved it. As I recall, he said that some piece of equipment had updated and set itself back to default values. He had to put back in the specific settings for that station. It was an issue that seemed to only be a problem for Dish (and maybe Direct) OTA.

Reactions: primestar31

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)