OTA tuner to be enabled on Nov.. 1st?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Source for this information? All other posts I have seen lately have indicated Dec. 1st as the target date.

Seriously. If you are correct, you will gain credibility with me HDTVTechno. If it doesnt come true, you might want to shy away from posting info like this. The better place is the club area and put big rumor caveats around it. I hope you are right.

I just talked to one of my contacts who tells me December. He also said there may be one other software release before that happens that will fix a number of items.

What are those items? I don't know and rahter have Earl report on them. :)

Ok guys

Get your "thinking caps on"

Isnt Directv Shutting down the HD DNS channels on November 1st for the central time zones/eastern.... ;)

Ok, my thinking cap is on

Lets see. You are the only one telling us Nov. 1st, you do not site a source, and Earl (Who has contact with the development team of the HR-20) is telling us not Nov. 1st.

You claim that HD-DNS channel are being shut down on Nov. 1st for Central/easter time zones. Where did that come from? I have not heard that from anywhere else. I thought DNS would be around until all HD stations are up on the new Sats. (Earl indicated DNS would start to go away in 2007)

hmm :confused: Who would be the more reliable source of information??? :eureka: I GOT IT Earl

Ok, my thinking cap is on

Lets see. You are the only one telling us Nov. 1st, you do not site a source, and Earl (Who has contact with the development team of the HR-20) is telling us not Nov. 1st.

You claim that HD-DNS channel are being shut down on Nov. 1st for Central/easter time zones. Where did that come from? I have not heard that from anywhere else. I thought DNS would be around until all HD stations are up on the new Sats. (Earl indicated DNS would start to go away in 2007)

hmm :confused: Who would be the more reliable source of information??? :eureka: I GOT IT Earl

According to the information I have gotten this past week, ATSC is not going to be part of the next software release... which there is a very good chance we will see it next week.

ATSC is functional in development builds, but they are still not ready to let it out in the "wild" yet. Soon, as they really want this feature out there ASAP..

As for the HD-DNS on November 1st.
I have seen that, but it is primarily effecting areas that now have HD LIL's available. And given the recent developments with DishNetwork and their DNS issues.....

When I said 2007, I ment TOTAL HD-DNS being converted to MPEG-4.
There is no doubt there will be some form of HD-DNS... but it will be very limited in availability.

As to the "cricial" issues... During October they hae fixed a few items that where deemed critical. So more resources where focused on those, while OTA was pushed back a bit.

As to what is going to be fixed in the next software version...
I'll let you know next Saturday Mr. Bender.. :D

I sure hope they fix this signal loss issue on MPEG4 channels. I had two HR20s with no issues for two weeks until this latest software update. Now anything on MPEG4 stations will intermitently lose signal for 10 seconds to 10 minutes.

Maybe this question has been answered before but why was it not enabled in the first place?

That would be kinda like the dealership telling me I can use the cruise control or the radio until 2 months from now. It's there...but ya just can't use it! ;)

FWIW...you can't tell me because it wasn't tested. Trust me..it was tested with it activated during development of the box.

Maybe this question has been answered before but why was it not enabled in the first place?

That would be kinda like the dealership telling me I can use the cruise control or the radio until 2 months from now. It's there...but ya just can't use it! ;)

FWIW...you can't tell me because it wasn't tested. Trust me..it was tested with it activated during development of the box.

Because they where not satisfied with it's performance.... And it need more work before it was ready to go.

Similar to how the DTivos where first release without Dual Tuner support.
You know it was tested while in development, but they felt that at teh time of the release it wasn't good enough to go with the release.

Because they where not satisfied with it's performance.... And it need more work before it was ready to go.

Similar to how the DTivos where first release without Dual Tuner support.
You know it was tested while in development, but they felt that at teh time of the release it wasn't good enough to go with the release.

The reason is because this POS was released before it was ready. Its really baffling though how something as simple as an ATSC OTA tuner didnt work :rolleyes:.

The reason is because this POS was released before it was ready. Its really baffling though how something as simple as an ATSC OTA tuner didnt work :rolleyes:.

Ahh.. so it is just an ATSC tuner.
It doesn't have to scheduled recordings on those ATSC tuners
Nor integrate the guide data from those ATSC tuners and the sub channels.
Nor be able to handle if the reception of those channels bounce in and out.
Nor be able to properly work with the MPEG-2 encoding on those broadcasts, which are slightly different different the MPEG-2ish encoding on the sat based ones.
Plus have all the setup and testing screens for that feature to be in place.
And to make sure the units can handle signal overloads and multipath issues

But sure, after all it is just as simple as an ATSC Digital tuner.

"Its [sic] really baffling" how vurbano complains about D* at all times, yet still pays them :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)