OTA tuner to be enabled on Nov.. 1st?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
hd dns better not go or i will be a very unhappy customer

It will be going away in MPEG2 soon and converted to MPEG4. But even then it's going to be very, very limited. As mentioned, see what's happening to Dish. DirecTV certainly doesn't want to head down that path...

3 recordable tuners (1 OTA, 2 SAT) on 11/12-01.. Priceless :D

who cares if its on Nov or Dec first.. as long as it Does Happen, we be happy :)

I sent an email to DIRECTV about the bug I have when manual recording and also asked about the OTA tuner activation. The CSR said they have been told it will definitely be actived by December 1st. We'll see...

The reason is because this POS was released before it was ready. Its really baffling though how something as simple as an ATSC OTA tuner didnt work :rolleyes:.

If it was entirely simple, then the software update the Tivo wrote for the HR10-250 wouldn't be having the issues it is with some OTA feeds. ;)

I gotten a letter in the mail that Come Nov 1st Directv wil be shutting off the HD DNS for customers where in Central/eastern time zone where they have HD LIL channels....

For what its worth I have DNS CBS, FOX, and ABC in the same market as hdtvtechno, and I have not gotten any kind of letter or notice regarding the discontinuance of HD DNS in the Central, let alone Chicago market.

I will keep my eyes peeled though.

I am wondering if there may be some confusion regarding Central being limited to only the east coast DNS feeds.

I gotten a letter in the mail that Come Nov 1st Directv wil be shutting off the HD DNS for customers where in Central/eastern time zone where they have HD LIL channels....
im pretty sure i already have hd lil in my area msp, looks like ill "move" to boonies montana/maine

One more day till you are thrown to the dogs!;)

No need to throw him to the dogs.... :) as if that was the case everytime things change... then I would be living with the dogs most of the time.

Just like this week.

As confident as I was last Friday, that we would we see an update this week..
It appears that over the weekend, the test builds... the testers identified some issues that have caused them to pretty much not approve that version for customer release...

So the chances of getting an update this week, has dropped significantly.

Earl is right. Its dangerous to throw out a specific date unless its pretty much written in stone. It may have been Nov 1 at one point but we all know things slip and slip quite a bit with D*. I think by Dec 1 is problably the best guess. And even that can change.

Earl is right. Its dangerous to throw out a specific date unless its pretty much written in stone. It may have been Nov 1 at one point but we all know things slip and slip quite a bit with D*. I think by Dec 1 is problably the best guess. And even that can change.
more to the point!

Earl is right. Its dangerous to throw out a specific date unless its pretty much written in stone. It may have been Nov 1 at one point but we all know things slip and slip quite a bit with D*.
That is why D* hardly ever gives this info out (press release type) everything is always subject to change.

I would imagine that all major companies are this way to a degree, they don't need the public calling saying they are late. It will come when the y are ready and after they see it works, they will then inform you :)

Jimbo

Ahh.. so it is just an ATSC tuner.
It doesn't have to scheduled recordings on those ATSC tuners
Nor integrate the guide data from those ATSC tuners and the sub channels.
Nor be able to handle if the reception of those channels bounce in and out.
Nor be able to properly work with the MPEG-2 encoding on those broadcasts, which are slightly different different the MPEG-2ish encoding on the sat based ones.
Plus have all the setup and testing screens for that feature to be in place.
And to make sure the units can handle signal overloads and multipath issues

But sure, after all it is just as simple as an ATSC Digital tuner.

Yes it is baffling since the HR10-250 has been doing it for a long time.

Yes it is baffling since the HR10-250 has been doing it for a long time.

Well it is not baffling to me. I am a software developer so I know what issues can arise with developing code. The reason that the OTA tuners are not there is because then the box is just like the R15 (two tuners) All the logic for recording is the same. That way all you have to focus on is adding the HD capability into the system.

When you add the OTA, you now have a total of 4 tuners. Plus some of them are not interchangeable with each other. Plus you can only support 2 record streams and 1 play stream on the Hard drive and you can see that this is a much more complex the operating environment.

So I can see why they would want to get the box out there without the OTA to validate the robustness of that part of the system. By holding back, they have been able to eliminate many bugs in the main part of the system without the added complexities of the OTA environment.

You are a close second (to TVBob) being the MOST negative poster there is here. You really need to look for some positives - because there are PLENTY of them.

Don't let him get to you,
He has D* but I think it's by default ... I think he would have teh old knob channel changer if he could find one. He has never stated anything good towards D* since I've been posting.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)