OTA w/ 942 that is no longer active

dishme

Original poster
May 17, 2006
I am a current Dish customer that is interested in getting a DVR for my locals OTA. I don't really want to subscribe to the Dish HD content. I'm wondering if it is possible to do the following:

1) Buy a used 942 for a few hundred bucks
2) Temporarily activate it with HD programming and locals from DishNetwork in order to get the correct (OTA HD) stations integrated into the guide
3) Disconnect phone and satellite connections and then deactivate the receiver
4) Continue to use the 942 to decode and record HD locals OTA

I realize that once the receiver is no longer getting a feed from the satellite that the program guide will no longer be updated, but I'm hoping that I could still use the 942 to do timed recordings (like a typical VCR).

I'm basically looking at this as an alternative to building a HD HTPC setup to record my locals in HD.

Does anyone know if this can or cannot be done?

TIA

dishme said:
I am a current Dish customer that is interested in getting a DVR for my locals OTA. I don't really want to subscribe to the Dish HD content. I'm wondering if it is possible to do the following:

1) Buy a used 942 for a few hundred bucks
2) Temporarily activate it with HD programming and locals from DishNetwork in order to get the correct (OTA HD) stations integrated into the guide
3) Disconnect phone and satellite connections and then deactivate the receiver
4) Continue to use the 942 to decode and record HD locals OTA

I realize that once the receiver is no longer getting a feed from the satellite that the program guide will no longer be updated, but I'm hoping that I could still use the 942 to do timed recordings (like a typical VCR).

I'm basically looking at this as an alternative to building a HD HTPC setup to record my locals in HD.

Does anyone know if this can or cannot be done?

TIA

You shouldn't be able to add the HD packages anymore, but shouldn't be nessessary. Active receiver should give you the ota, ordering locals will give you guide info. If you disconnect the satelite and deactivate, you will probably not be able to use the ota and you would lose the dvr as you have to pay to use it. Also, without locals active you will not get the guide info. You would be better served getting an HD HTPC to record you locals as what you are thinking of doing will give more more problems than it would be worth.

But, even if it isn't activated, as long as it can "see" a satellite (in other words as long as it is still connected to a dish that can see the Dish satellites) it will still work for OTA (as expected you won't have any guide data).

Even if it can "see" a satellite, the locals will not show up on the program guide. You can still record, but you will have to set it up like a VCR, entering start, stop, and chanel info. This is how I use my old 921.

Old Guy said:
Even if it can "see" a satellite, the locals will not show up on the program guide. You can still record, but you will have to set it up like a VCR, entering start, stop, and chanel info. This is how I use my old 921.
Is this true even if the receiver is not active? I thought I had read that if the receiver has been deactivated, Dish sends it a "act like a door stop" command so that it becomes non-functional. That's why I suggested disconnecting before deactivating in step 3. I'd be happy for someone with direct experience setting me straight, if I've got this all wrong.

Dish currently does not have the ability to shut down the dvr service on any receiver except the 7100/7200.

Keeping it hooked up to the dish, even though it is not activated, is a real advantage. It will still receive software updates, and starts up without problems with loss of signal. It will act just like it did when it was activated except the program guide will show all channels in "red" (not available). The locals will not be in the guide, and the OTA channels in the guide will only show "Local Programing". I did this because the $200.00 trade-in is less than I can buy a HD tuner for my set.

Old Guy said:
Keeping it hooked up to the dish, even though it is not activated, is a real advantage. It will still receive software updates, and starts up without problems with loss of signal. It will act just like it did when it was activated except the program guide will show all channels in "red" (not available).
One minor adjustment, there are a few channels that DO appear on non subscribed receivers, NASA and several other public access channels do not require any subscription.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts