HDless Re-broadcast on ESPN or ESPN2

84Gator

Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
When ESPN rebroadcasts a college football game at 3am or so from the previous night, it sends it as SD, or at most HD but with the aspect back to 4:3 and a crappy picture. Is there any good reason for this? This sucks because if you were recording one HD event and wanted to record another in the same time slot, you should be able to wait for the rebroadcast early the next morning.

Makes no sense to me, no resource is wasted, why not give us the good picture?

I have been watching the NBA replays late night on ESPN and the deuce and it's all been in HD lately.

ESPN HD is actually pretty consistent with their quality lately and, most of the time, the games are HD these days. ESPN2HD was also pretty good about making sure the college games it had were in HD.

This question isn't about ESPN, but re-broadcasting in general. It seems whenever a show airs in HD, and then re-airs later that night on say ABC,CBS,NBC or FOX, the re-broadcast is always SD (well, ive never seen HD Rebroadcast atleast) The shows I'm referring to are like CSI, The late show with Jay leno, and evening news (local news is in HD on NBC here)

Is there a reason behind this such as technical or legal reasons, or is it because they "just don't wnat to"? I've always wondered that, and I haven't actually seen a answer ever lol

Thanks

Its usually because the majority of local affiliates dont have the ability to record and replay HD content (only a handful do)

My NBC affil shows a 30 minute infomercial at 3:35am, nightly, and it bumps conan 30 minutes, so the replays arent in HD, however before the informercials came around (they were after conan), the replays were HD.

Just dependant on your loal affiliates, HD recording stuff isnt the cheapest thing out there !

That makes sense, I didn't realize that they record the shows they need to playback again later, I thought stuff was done from a more "corporate" level but I guess not :) I would think that if they have the abbility to broadcast local news in HD, that they could re-play it later in HD lol

Thanks for that tidbit!

HDLess Re-broadcast on ESPN

Actually my specific example was college football. HD on ESPN for the 7:30pm game, but rebroadcast at 3am, but with sidebars. Makes no sense.

I could understand some local affiliate issues, but ESPN? Seems like it would be more effort to put the sidebars on there, rather than just resend the recorded HD stuff. Some one else said that maybe it was for people that wanted a differnet aspect ratio, but hey, thats what SD ESPN is for, its the same programming.

I assumed there were enough college football fans to notice this.... and share in my rant, oh well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts