OTA with diplexer and new HD channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ThePaul

Original poster
Dec 2, 2005
I was getting "Searching For Signal" on all new HD channels until I disconnected my OTA diplexer/splitter and ran direct form dish to receiver. Now new HD channels work fine.

Is it not possible to have both an OTA (using diplexer/splitter) and the new HD channels?

Local HD from the satellite are unwatchable due to lip synch issues.

I was getting "Searching For Signal" on all new HD channels until I disconnected my OTA diplexer/splitter and ran direct form dish to receiver. Now new HD channels work fine.

Is it not possible to have both an OTA (using diplexer/splitter) and the new HD channels?

Local HD from the satellite are unwatchable due to lip synch issues.

No, you can't diplex in your OTA signal with the new sat - it uses the same frequency ranges. OTA will require a dedicated cable run to work.

If you put the BBC before the diplexor, it will work. The frequency is shifted out of the OTA range before the diplexer. I have it set up this way and it works fine.

If that's the case you should start a new thread so that shows up on the front page - tons of people have been having this problem and this is the first I've seen of this solution...

My setup with the BBC before the first diplexer at the off the air antenna is working fine so far.:)

PS: You should really run the second line for the antenna.

Matt

I'm using the BBC before the first diplexer as well and it works for me.

I've been trying to figure out how to provide my OTA antenna power without the diplexers (or use the diplexers, but have the antenna pull power from something other than the sat receiver), but haven't found anything that works.

Using a power adapter at the antenna isn't an option as I don't have the ability to get 25+ feet in the air to the antenna and there's no electric up there (or in the attic where the line would go inside).

*edit* I do have a separate line running from the OTA to the receiver.

Would it be possible to put the B Band Converters on the 4 inputs of my Terk 5x8 and still have that work? I already have a service appointment for next week to install a new Zinwell WB616, but I was hoping that I could figure out a way around the problem in the meantime. Would the B Band Converters allow the 103b signal to be passed through my current multiswitch or an Eagle Aspen DTV4x8? I know the Zinwell is a wideband multiswitch, but I thought the BBC performed a frequency shift sufficient for the signal to be passed through an old multiswitch.

This is a good one. Got the installers at the house right now to remove the 5 diplexers I have and run dedicated lines for my OTA. I stated that the diplexers are getting in the way of me receiving the new HD channels. One of the installers looks at me and says, "Well, you know that they haven't released the new HD channels yet." HA!

Thanks to this site, it looks like I might have more knowledge than D* own installers. I really shocked 'em when I tossed around terms like "OTA", "diplexer", "BBC" and "test channel 498". They asked what kind of trouble I was having and I explained it to them. After a few moments of puzzled looks on their faces, I just explained to them exactly what I needed done. Classic, yet embarrasing that their own installers have no clue that the channels are live and that they really have no clue as to how to solve my problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Diplexed OTA with new HD - it is possible (I think)!

Problem W. Stars HD - Need some Advice:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts