Other New Dish National HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

GameOn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
DFW
There are 20 current uplinked (I think) temporary available HD channels, according to The Link. We know what 17 are scheduled for and when. Any "rumors" on the other 3?

Well the three channels that are rumored is MOJO HD---Speed HD---OH MY GOD CHARLIE IN HD Charlie Chat Hd even thou Charlie did state he will never do it.

The third one to be rumored is FOX BUSINESS Channel HD.

We know E* is going to add a bunch of HBO and Starz channels as well as another Cinemax channel to their HD lineup. Showtime and TMC channels are conspicious by their absence.

Could we possibly get SpeedHD....that would be great...to be honest I don't see any other channels that would interest me in HD except MSNBC and FOXNEWS I mean we already have CNNHD so might as well make it a trio!

Could we possibly get SpeedHD....that would be great...to be honest I don't see any other channels that would interest me in HD except MSNBC and FOXNEWS I mean we already have CNNHD so might as well make it a trio!

WFN II and WFN III is what my sources are telling me.

What about Spike or Comedy Central HD? Is there ANY chance of that coming anytime soon? (is Comedy Central even in HD yet? I know Spike is..)

There are a lot of things I'd like to see in HD before the Comedy channel.

I see 23 different "TMP" uplink names at 129, according to "The List" That's not including Planet Green and ActionMax

3- P,Q,R,S,T, 15, and Green
7-ActionMax
13- 10,11,12,13,16
19- E
22- A,D,F,H,I,M,N
23- B, C, G, J

However, WGN is also on Transponder 3. Aren't they currently maxing out at 7 per transponder? So I think at least one of those TMPs is actually WGN.

None of this really means anything, but the TMP channels were an interesting indicator last time they did a mass channel add. Still hopefully this means there's potentially room for 7 upcoming adds. Assuming Fox is not coming any time soon, DirecTV has 8 Viacom/Showtimes that DISH doesn't. The fact that they've filled out all the premium packs except Showtime, I'd bet they are holding back some space and arguing with Viacom about what they're going to carry. (8 channels, 7 slots?)

MSNBC-HD is on the way too, and we know they've been friendly with NBC.

You did a better research than I, M Sparks! It will be interesting to see how many of these channels will be used for the Aug-1 rollout as they get reuplinked (so to speak). I guess at the least, there will be 6 available. Does anyone know how many will be gained by the mpeg2 to mpeg4 transition that will be done Aug-1? I think we are talking about TNT, ESPN, HDTheater, HDNet, HDNet Movies, HBO East, Showtime East - any others? And how much bandwidth do we get out of this? Yes, I know there are new birds coming up which will hopefully make all these bandwidth topics irrelevent!

You did a better research than I, M Sparks! It will be interesting to see how many of these channels will be used for the Aug-1 rollout as they get reuplinked (so to speak). I guess at the least, there will be 6 available. Does anyone know how many will be gained by the mpeg2 to mpeg4 transition that will be done Aug-1? I think we are talking about TNT, ESPN, HDTheater, HDNet, HDNet Movies, HBO East, Showtime East - any others? And how much bandwidth do we get out of this? Yes, I know there are new birds coming up which will hopefully make all these bandwidth topics irrelevent!

Not my research...it's the wonderful folks who put together The List. I just read it.

At 110, there's 8 MPEG-2 channels on 2 transponders, so the MPEG-4 switchout only adds 6 potential channels. 6 is a lot though when you're out of room.

Echo XI is supposed to make a difference, but I don't know the specifics. There's 18 CONUS SD transponders at 110. If they could increase the number of SD channels per transponder by two, that would free up 2 transponders, so that's another 14 HD. I don't know if this is true though.

Actually, looking at 129 again... there's so many CONUS beams being wasted on locals..like 8-10.

Assuming Echo XI has some new spots to cover some or all of those areas...that could be room for another 70 HD at 129. I don't know enough about Eastern Arc to know if they could match that.

In the short term, there's room for 3 more HD on Transponder 22.

Bottom line...they won't be maxed after this 17, and in 9 months it hopefully won't matter.

EDIT...OK, scratch that...Echo XI doesn't have any spots.

I've run searches, but can't find a decent explanation of what Echo XI will bring to the table. Is it just a replacement?

Last edited:
Regarding my post #12 above...it's pretty invalid now that everything has been slotted. Some of those TMP channels are not valid. All that is left is

TMP 15 on 3
TMP 13 & 16 on 13
TMP E on 19

There's room for three more on 23 though. So...room for 7 more, which is what I figured, they're just in different places.

TMP 13, 15, and 16 WERE Showtime West, Sho 2, and TMC, who knows if they still are. Also, Transponder 19 has VS/Golf on it, so TMP E might be a placeholder for the split.

The List still shows TMP 10, 11, & 12, but there just isn't enough room on that transponder...pretty sure those are mirrors of channels already available, or just haven't been dropped off The List.

Actually, looking at 129 again... there's so many CONUS beams being wasted on locals..like 8-10.

Assuming Echo XI has some new spots to cover some or all of those areas...that could be room for another 70 HD at 129. I don't know enough about Eastern Arc to know if they could match that.

In the short term, there's room for 3 more HD on Transponder 22.

Bottom line...they won't be maxed after this 17, and in 9 months it hopefully won't matter.

EDIT...OK, scratch that...Echo XI doesn't have any spots.

I've run searches, but can't find a decent explanation of what Echo XI will bring to the table. Is it just a replacement?

E11 is replacing E8. E11 will up power which could be used to lower the FEC, which could free up one 1 even 2 transponders. The MPEG4 HD transition should free up to 6 spaces. So Dish should have just enough to add the more demanded channels. Hopefully they choose well. No more WFNs. Viacom, Fox, and non-Voom Rainbows please, not to mention a few others.

However, I was thinking that, while 8+ 129 TPs may be being blown on locals, spots won't really help the situation. The spots will enable those TPs to feed a whole lot more locals, but those TP frequencies (or at least the same quantity) still will have to used for spots.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)