Other than certain reasons (posted below), why would one need to subscribe to their locals?

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
(That is if you have an over-the-air antenna.)

Other than these four reasons:

1. Being "moved".
2. Using Primetime Anytime
3. Using more tuners for your locals.
4. No OTA antenna and unable to get one.

OTA has much better picture and sound and don't know why anyone would want to subscribe to their locals otherwise...

Reactions: TheKrell

1. Being "moved".

OTA has much better picture and sound and don't know why anyone would want to subscribe to their locals otherwise...

Believe it or not, some people actually think having a TV antenna is in some way "illegal" or a non-functional thing of the past (extinct). Those folks would continue to purchase locals thru an MVPD.

1. Being "moved".

HD Space considerations when DVRing, recording one hour of OTA takes up much more room than the same hour recorded off the satellite feed. Or at least it did when I had my 722, I haven't checked to be sure on the Hopper3.

Slightly different than no OTA antenna, you live behind a hill, think Pike's Peak and that OTA signal just isn't available no matter how big of an OTA antenna you can put up.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Although I no longer subscribe to locals, when I did the satellite feed was usually as good or sometimes it even looked better.
I could of been to blew out notice though.:biggrin

All depends on how the locals are received by Dish. Some are fiber-fed, some are via OTA. Regardless, they are ALL compressed before being retransmitted over DBS.

Reactions: the mack

1. Being "moved".

No OTA channels available

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I have a fifth. In Boston, NBC dropped WHDH as its affiliate on New Years Day 2017. They started an O&O on the DT2 of a Merrimack NH O&O Telemundo station (WNEU). To break into Boston, they bought a small Low Powered Station and changed it to WBTS. Even with these two stations, I was just outside their range for OTA. After leasing space on a subchannel of WMFP to cover the blacked out zone, they eventually bought WCYN, an independent low powered station out of Nashua, New Hampshire.

I get NBC via WCYN only. But, the Dish guide on my Hopper lists it as a PBS affielate. So, instead of the morning news, the guide tells me that Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood is on. So, for me I keep the locals from Dish to actually get guide data for NBC.

1. Being "moved".

I like having both, as I get some of the locals being 100 miles away via translators, but others I don't. I get sub channels Dish does not have have. So it works well for me. The vip211k does both, OTA & Dish. Also having Dish and the Roku/FireStick gives me those options too. The 21st Century has a lot of options.

Is there a good site that shows a map of ranges/distances ya need to be within to receive the OTA Signals? Also, if I were to get OTA antenna does it work with the H3 Guide & DVR?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts