Other than certain reasons (posted below), why would one need to subscribe to their locals?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you lose access to broadcast networks' On Demand if you don't subscribe to locals and only obtain them via OTA? I tried to watch something on Fox On Demand and got a link to upgrade my subscription.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you lose access to broadcast networks' On Demand if you don't subscribe to locals and only obtain them via OTA? I tried to watch something on Fox On Demand and got a link to upgrade my subscription.

If you mean via the streaming apps, then you have to wait a week for Fox and ABC. CBS has the 5 latest episodes available via computer only, you have to pay for All Access to use the app. CW doesn’t require authentication to watch the next day. NBC I’m not sure anymore.

If you mean via the streaming apps, then you have to wait a week for Fox and ABC. CBS has the 5 latest episodes available via computer only, you have to pay for All Access to use the app. CW doesn’t require authentication to watch the next day. NBC I’m not sure anymore.

He could also mean via Dish receivers.

Reactions: jannah

I mean the actual Dish On Demand for the networks. I know if you wait a few days with most networks' streaming apps you don't need to log in.

To record the local channels on a DVR to playback later, autohop, to transfer to a tablet or phone to take it on the go, dishanywhere to view at other locations live or recorded shows later on, to watch on demand content which requires credentials to your provider to watch those shows.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

All depends on how the locals are received by Dish. Some are fiber-fed, some are via OTA. Regardless, they are ALL compressed before being retransmitted over DBS.

That may be CN but the Albuquerque locals on Dish look damn good. We had DTV before and the locals were so bad we went OTA...but with Dish they are pretty good -

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: comfortably_numb
To record the local channels on a DVR to playback later, autohop, to transfer to a tablet or phone to take it on the go, dishanywhere to view at other locations live or recorded shows later on, to watch on demand content which requires credentials to your provider to watch those shows.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Can record OTA, and transfer, view in DA. On demand and auto hop would require the subscription.

I’ve never really thought about using in antenna. Does this mean I would have to climb on the roof and mount a large piece of metal and then run a cord across the roof, down the side of the house, drill a hole in the wall, and run a cable to the Hopper 3? Would I then have to try to turn the antenna to get the exact right angle so that most channels come in? Will the Hopper DVR pull in the guide data for local channels if I don’t subscribe through Dish? What does the connector look like? Only see one coax on the back of the H3. Has anyone in Phoenix tried getting locals ota? Is it reliable? Never had an issue with Dish provided locals.

Edit: just watched a YouTube video that answered some of the above questions.

I’ve never really thought about using in antenna. Does this mean I would have to climb on the roof and mount a large piece of metal and then run a cord across the roof, down the side of the house, drill a hole in the wall, and run a cable to the Hopper 3?

Depends on how far you are from the towers. Run a www.tvfool.com report

If the towers are close, an indoor antenna may suffice.

Reactions: PHXHoward
With the shipping the OTA kit on Dish’s web site is $88. It would take 8 months just to break even but then I guess it would be a nice savings. Just worried that it might not work out and then I’ll be stuck with it.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

With the shipping the OTA kit on Dish’s web site is $88. It would take 8 months just to break even but then I guess it would be a nice savings. Just worried that it might not work out and then I’ll be stuck with it.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

If you get the adapter from AirTV its only $30

Same product

I just went on the TV Fool website and I would have to run a 30 ft antenna to get the locals that I receive with Dish and with hurricanes etc. I'll take the Dish locals.

I have both OTA and Dish locals. Here on the Northern Oregon Coast we have nasty storms, but putting the antenna at 10 feet works fine for our translators 12 miles away. That way I get the locals on Dish not available OTA and the OTA sub channels not on Dish.

Yeah, for us it's simply a matter of not being able to get all of the locals via an OTA antenna. I can orient it to get two of the four, but then the other two don't come in at all. One of the four is a challenge to get no matter what.

I did use OTA when we lost our NBC station for about two months. I enjoyed not being worried about rain or snow fade. There was one odd sporadic issue where, even though I had "100%" strength, I would turn to that channel and get the spinning circle as if it was trying to find the channel, and it would just spin forever. Usually changing away and back would fix it, but I missed a couple of recordings that way.

But yeah, if I had a good outside OTA antenna that could pick up all the locals, I would not subscribe to the Dish locals.

Reactions: edisonprime

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)