OTR, RV and Dishnetwork Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

willr

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
se pa
I have a HD receiver I use in my RV (I have been using Dish in the RV since the 90's).
First I use the (single) receiver to feed the main TV with HDMI, then the remote TV's (low def) using the receiver coax output.
My last RV had the roof antenna output jack right next to the receiver location so I would just cable that to the receiver OTR input, then take the receiver output and plug it into the distribution coax that goes to the remote TV's.
But I Just bought a new RV and have a question:

New RV has a digital antenna on the roof. This OTR antenna signal is sent first to a power booster (supplies 12V to antenna) then to 3 different jacks though the on board coax trunk using splitters. This antenna is wired into the Coax system in the Bedroom.

With Dishnetwork, I need to hook that feed to the OTR antenna jack, then use the Dish coax output to send signal to 2 remote TV's.
Problem is there is only one coax system, and it already has the OTR signal on it. I would prefer to use Dish because it downloads the TV guide.

I understand I can run a coax from the RV coax jack that includes OTR signal and feed it to the Dishnetwork Receiver OTR port. But Then Can I take the coax output from the dish (with receiver sending analog signal out on a unused chanell) and connect it back into the splitter so the dish signal is feed to the remote TV locations?

thanks. I hooked it up to try it, currenntly scanning locals and have found 6 so far.
My receiver only has output on channel 3 or 4, so I will try that next.

Opinion needed: The splitter I need is 1 into 3.

Would you run the OTR signal into the input of the splitter (it is the probably a weaker signal then the output from receiver on channel 4).

then I run 1 output to receiver. 1 output to Big TV (in case receiver is unplugged while on road) and 1 output is plugged into TV out jack on receiver.

back to the drawing board. Too much loss in the Camper Coax. Far end TV's don't have a very good picture. I added an amp I got laying around but that starts to mess with the digital signal that's on the same wire.

As a rule in general, boosters (amps) wreck the satellite signal. If you bought the camper new, talk to your dealer or email your manufacturer to see if they have a solution. My new 5er has a similar system, and it would have been tough to do without my dealers help.

As a rule in general, boosters (amps) wreck the satellite signal. If you bought the camper new, talk to your dealer or email your manufacturer to see if they have a solution. My new 5er has a similar system, and it would have been tough to do without my dealers help.

this rig has a input patch panel with main, and sat 1, 2 and 3.
main connects into the bedroom, where it is connected to the switch for OTR antenna.
OTR antenna output connects to a splitter that feeds a jack in basement, bedroom, and entertainment center (which is in a slide-out).

Sat 1, 2 and 3 go direct to each location listed above (there is 2 jacks at each location). I use SAT jack to send dish signal to receiver in Entertainment center.

the design looks like they want you to put the sat receiver in the bedroom, but that prevents you from running HDMI to entertainment center :(.
and I think dishnetwork only puts out Low def on the coax jack.

What I tried to do was put the output of the Satullite receiver onto the same feed that contains the OTR signal, but I am feeding a 4 way splitter backwards so I have major loss. Threw in a booster at dish receiver, but that must have spatter and the digital OTR signal on same feed line goes away.

I will study this. I might try a dual receiver where I can put the sat output onto a real high channel instead of 3 or 4 which is all the receiver in my RV allows.
they will give me another 722 if I sign up for 2 more years :(. I been a member since dish first came out, I really don't think we are switching in the next 2 years.

I need to get inside the front cabinet and see if I can run another coax to the entertainment center.

Sat 1, 2 and 3 go direct to each location listed above (there is 2 jacks at each location). I use SAT jack to send dish signal to receiver in Entertainment center.
A drawing would sure help. Are you saying that at the outside, there is three coax inputs marked Sat 1, Sat 2, and Sat 3. Or is it Sat, 1, 2, 3 (4 coaxes)

It sounds like that ii the living room there are two coax feeds, and in the bedroom there are two coax feeds. Is that all the "each locations?" Satellite dish cables should be singular runs, no splitters. Have you tried signal tracing to verify the coax cables?

I am assuming we are talking about a ground tripod or is there a roof dish?

Our trailer was wired with a roof dish with one satellite feed to the living room and one to the bedroom. I extended the bedroom satellite coax to the living room to drive a VIP622. I then used the cable that carried the OTA signals to the bedroom to carry the TV2 output using a switch between the OTA and the TV2.

We replaced the vIP622 with a VIP722K so that the OTA tuners could be used on TV1 and TV2. Then we didn't need to switch the cable to the bedroom TV letting the VIP722K doing all the OTA reception.

Now we have a Hopper and use the cable that used to carry the TV2 and OTA to be the Joey run. WE really never used OTA so we can wait for the Hopper OTA tuners to come.

There is 1 panel outside RV that has 4 inputs. Main, Sat1, Sat2 Sat3 (they use the word Sat as satellite location, not satellite dish)
There is 3 TV locations in RV, each of which has 2 jacks.

Main goes up to the bedroom, where it is connect to power supply/switch for roof antenna. output from power supply / switch then goes through a splitter to the top jack in the 3 TV locations.

The bottom jack (SAT) in the 3 TV locations is a "home run" back to the panel in closet.

I have satellite dish connected to SAT 1, which is the lower jack in the living room entertainment center, which goes to the Dish Receiver.
SAT 1 is a dedicated cable run, there is no OTR signal on this, just Satellite dish signal.

What I was doing is hooking MAIN (feed from room antenna) to the OTR input jack of sat receiver. This works fine.
What I wanted to do was send the Dish receiver output (on channel 4) back over the MAIN cable trunk, so I could watch the DISH content on each remote TV on channel 4.

Problem is the channel 4 signal (from Dish receiver) is very weak (snowy) viewed on the remote tV's. If a add a booster on this output, TV signal gets better on remote TV's, but booster must be causing noise on MAIN cable because I loose my Digital OTR channels when booster is turned on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts