Outernet

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Martyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Annandale, VA
Just picked up a channel IDed as "Outernet" on 97W this evening.

12177 V 23000
V64, P64, No Audio

The logo flashing away on the screen is the same as the one here: https://www.outernet.is/

It appears to be some outfit that wants to collect Internet content and send it through cubesats to receiving stations that will collect it and allow local access. Cubesats, if you haven't been paying attention, are the latest "cool" thing to capture the interest of Silicon Valley.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outernet

The idea is interesting, although those cubesats will be in LEO so the receiving station might be a good deal more complex than the one shown in the YouTube video. I'm also not sure how they might stream video. Sure, you could probably do it from a Cubesat but in LEO you're going to have to keep repositioning the dish every 10 minutes or so when the satellite falls below the horizon -- or goes behind a tree.

Anyway, something worth keeping an eye on. I wonder what the 97W transponder will be used for?

Says it launches on Monday, so perhaps as a demo.

There was some talk a while ago about this within a thread somewhere, a person from Outernet was asking what sat would be best to broadcast from. I tried to find the thread, but couldn't.

Noted a few days ago as well. Thought it was a temporary broadcast, but that is not likely the case if it is still there.

Think the cubesat thing is lower S-band like GPS, but they would be really low power so you might require a tracking station antenna. They likely have something ready to retail as a kit, plug and play. Sounds interesting...

The thread makes a bit more sense. I see they are looking at geostationary satellites as well as Cubesats.

I'll be interested to see how this develops.

Hi. I'm the founder of Outernet and the one who started that previous thread. To clarify, we are running two separate services. One is the Ku-band service and the other is over UHF (300 MHz to 3 GHz). The best way to think about the two is broadband and mobile service. Our goal is to put a library in every home and a bookshelf in every pocket.

If you're handy with the command line and have a Linux-box lying around, or a Raspberry Pi, you should be able to pull down the ancillary data feed associated with the blinking-logo video channel (we'll eventually have explainer text on that page).

Here's the documentation to get started. It's definitely super-alpha right now but it does perform as expected.
https://github.com/Outernet-Project/orx-install/tree/master/archarm

Happy to answer any questions, but it's probably easiest to sign up for the newsletter on the website. Thanks.

Quick correction: For the time-being, our software will only run on a Raspberry Pi.

I will try this but have to order one of the supported usb tuners first, I have a Pi to play with already.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Thanks. But to be clear, a Prof should work just as easily. The tuner is not changed at all; it's a matter of installing the drivers on the rPi.

To be clear, the dish is still a work in progress. We are currently much more focused on software and tuners.

Thanks we have got to get you on one of our radio shows. Contact WALLYHTS or KE4EST as I am sure they would love to have you on!

Reactions: Bongu
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)