Hose Clamp Keeps Dish from Dropping

Status
Please reply by conversation.

spongella

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Central NJ
If you have experienced your dish tending to move downward on the mounting pole while rotating it just attach a large hose clamp to the pole, it'll keep the dish at the height you want.

Also, that annoying tendency of the mounting clamps to move out of sync with each other and generally get out of kilter when installing can be remedied by making two rectangular spacers and use them to connect the two clamps in tandem. See pics for details. It'll keep the spacing uniform.

Wish they would just make good quality mounting hardware for FTA dishes!

Attachments

• Photo 5.jpg
    Photo 5.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 430
  • alum spacers.jpg
    alum spacers.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 304
  • syncspacers.jpg
    syncspacers.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 292
If you have experienced your dish tending to move downward on the mounting pole while rotating it just attach a large hose clamp to the pole, it'll keep the dish at the height you want.

Also, that annoying tendency of the mounting clamps to move out of sync with each other and generally get out of kilter when installing can be remedied by making two rectangular spacers and use them to connect the two clamps in tandem. See pics for details. It'll keep the spacing uniform.

Did something similiar on my 90cm. Put one of these on the pole while installing it and no problems then (or now).:) http://www.homedepot.com/p/YARDGARD-2-3-8-in-Adjustable-Wood-Adapter-328598C/204510284?N=5yc1vZc3n6
Bracket.jpg100_2395.JPG 100_2396.JPG

They do make, specifically for mufflers and pipes, not for FTA, but, these parts have various sizes, from 1" to 3", in 1/4" increments.
Available in all automotive stores. More sturdy than hose gear clamps and Home Depot wood clamps. And affordable, too...
IMG_0803.JPG

Reactions: spongella
All Great ideas. I been needing to do something to mine.

If you guys would quit tightening the nuts/bolts like girls the dish/mount tends to stay in place on its own. :biggrin

Actually I like the aluminum spacer idea. Both my hotdish90's and the motors of course use that type of twin clamping system. Quite a bit to juggle holding the dish/motor up and trying to tighten 4 bolts on 2 sets of clamps evenly when they want to wonder all over the place. Great idea!

Reactions: dougruss
If you guys would quit tightening the nuts/bolts like girls the dish/mount tends to stay in place on its own. :biggrin

Actually I like the aluminum spacer idea. Both my hotdish90's and the motors of course use that type of twin clamping system. Quite a bit to juggle holding the dish/motor up and trying to tighten 4 bolts on 2 sets of clamps evenly when they want to wonder all over the place. Great idea!
With the cheap brackets on those motors you have to tighten them like a girl. ;) Put some torque on those nuts and the whole thing twists out of shape and alignment. But we have remedies for that too ;)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/beefing-up-the-sg2100-bracket.258050/

With the cheap brackets on those motors you have to tighten them like a girl. ;) Put some torque on those nuts and the whole thing twists out of shape and alignment. But we have remedies for that too ;)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/beefing-up-the-sg2100-bracket.258050/

Very true. I was of course teasing about tightening things like girls. I forgot how flimsy a SG2100 bracket and hardware is. I haven't ran one myself personally since my first motor which was an ancient SG2100 from when they were built right. I switched over to SG6000's that actually have a bracket not made from tinfoil and decent size hardware where it doesn't twist like a pretzel. Now I'm running an Amiko DM3800 which is built like a Stab so I don't have to worry about it.

I hate to say it but the reason why many of these motors come with bottom barrel hardware and suck in general is that everyone wanted to get a motor but didn't want to pay anything for it. When you are getting a motor for $50 shipped you are lucky if it is accurate and runs 3 days let alone come with decent hardware. :(

Here is another helpful hint. I always add lock washers to any bolts or screws on the dish and the mounting hardware. Sometimes locks washers are included, but sometimes not. Things hold together better with them added.

Reactions: polgyver
Here is another helpful hint. I always add lock washers to any bolts or screws on the dish and the mounting hardware. Sometimes locks washers are included, but sometimes not. Things hold together better with them added.
Another idea with washers : use thicker and bigger regular washers under the nuts which hold the dish's elevation. The washers with "teeth" are not friendly to the grey paint, and after a few adjustments, can grind away the paint, inviting rust. The smooth side of added washer should go towards paint.

Hopefully some of the satellite manufacturers are listening in. All these things make an installation a lot easier.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)