Outlook: "sending 3 of 3"

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I use Outlook 2007 and Norton 360. Sometimes I notice when I send an email (set to do so only on command, not immediately), the bottom banner says "sending 3 of 3." But I only sent one. No additional messages appear in Sent or Deleted.

I suspect something nasty, but I do have Norton. Perhaps there is some other explanation?

It should only say 1 of 1 even if you have multiple recipients.

If Outlook is aware of 3 it should show 3 in your sent box.

Who's your e-mail provider? Can you check the account online and see if there's anything else sent?

Also, send an e-mail to yourself and see if you get it 3 times

Tried that at your suggestion. Went out "sending 3 of 3" but I only got one copy.

It doesn't always say 3 of 3.

Verizon. I'll look at it that way.

Try uninstalling Outlook and then re-installing. I suggest downloading and using Revo Uninstaller. It's a free utility and much more thorough than the Windows uninstaller.

It may be just a software glitch, but the fact that it's not consistent makes me think you're right to be concerned.

Reporting back:

I may have figured out the problem. I previously maintained two Cox Cable email accounts as well as a Fios one. I had two email accts for myself with Cox, since Cox would not let the "main" email account be named the way I wanted. But once I set up the "main" email account, I could set up a subsidiary account named the way I liked.

So I had 3 active email accounts for several months, but only one was used for sending. I suspect that Cox had some software that "phoned home" every now and then via email, leaving no trace of itself (Cox was my previous Internet provider, now Fios). I say this because I have never seen "sending 3 of 3" since I canceled the Cox account. I think I was seeing the reporting of the message I was sending, and one each for the two Cox accounts reporting in.

Anybody know if this "reporting in" could be so?

If I ever see the "3 of 3" message again, I'll report back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)